Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-09-2005 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber

Polys Facing Wrong Way

When I create polys in the side view, the shaded face is always facing away from me. That's no big deal, when making a simple plane. I can just rotate the plane 180 degrees. However, it is also doing it when I extrude from edge. I'm making a car fender, using extrude from edge from a poly plane that I rotated in the right orientation, and then used a nurb semicurve to guide the extrusion. However, the shape of the fender is perfect, however the shaded faces are facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction (see pics). I tried resetting everything, but . . . no result. I'm sure I jus have some setting wrong.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-09-2005 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber

Perspective View

Here it is in perspective view, and you can see that the shaded faces are indeed 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 06-09-2005 , 05:07 PM
first be sure that you turn off Double-sided in the object's render attributes. Then select the faces which are facing the wrong way, and go to edit polygons->normals->reverse
That'll switch the normal the correct direction and should fix your problem.

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 4 06-09-2005 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber

Good advice

Thanks!