Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-11-2005 , 01:36 AM

WIP: Robot Mushroom

Good evening everyone! The mushroom season is now over here in Finland. The first snow came and all of the mushrooms are now dead. user added image I wanted to honour all the great moments mushrooms have given to me trough photography these last months by making one in Maya. I wanted to create a special mushroom, by making it a hybrid of a robot and a normal mushroom. I didn't manage to find any robot mushroom -works by anyone, so the only reference I had was in my head. An idea so crazy it just had to be done. user added image

I used a very old photo of mine as LDR reflection (sphere) to the mushroom, thus give it some interesting details and illumination. Final render done with Mental Ray + LDR + Final Gather + Depth of Field. Finishing touch with gradients done in Photoshop. I'm going to make a better surrounding/atmosphere to the scene in the future. That's where I would like your input. I'm a real newbie at Maya so I don't know much about fluids or particles. How could I make a scene like this more interesting and more fun to look at.

user added image

Please keep in mind that this is my second ever 3D-work, so please be gentle with your criticism. user added image I have been using Maya for about a month now. And this is the first work I feel good about, hehe.

Solkku

# 2 08-11-2005 , 09:41 PM
Hey. Very nice rendering!
I like it. The modeling is simple but not bad. The whole thing fits together!

# 3 08-11-2005 , 09:48 PM
make a field of them as far as the eye(camera) can see.

# 4 10-11-2005 , 08:58 PM
OMG your second work! You own!