Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-02-2006 , 10:04 AM

Animating the earth

i am trying to animate the orbit of the moon around the earth and the earth to rotate aswell i got the moon on a motion path so that works but the earth has to rotate at an angle and i do not know how to do that

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-02-2006 , 04:03 PM
you could angle the earth then go modify-> freeze transformations then keyframe the rotation of the earth

thats if you wanted it to rotage in the center but not at an angle.

If you just want to rotate ot just keyframe it

# 3 17-02-2006 , 04:44 PM
Instead of using a motion path for the moon's orbit you could just move the moon's center point from the center of the moon to the center of the Earth (select the moon, then press the insert key. The insert key will allow you to move the center point around by dragging it with the mouse) You could then point constrain the moon to the Earth. Now, all you have to do is write a simple expression to rotate the moon "moon.rotateY = time * 2" . Increase or decrease the number to make the moon rotate faster or slower.

Last edited by Velusion; 17-02-2006 at 05:20 PM.
# 4 21-02-2006 , 04:38 PM

expressions

wots an expression adn where do u put it

# 5 21-02-2006 , 09:17 PM
An expression is just a MEL script that runs while the animation is playing.