Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-03-2006 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber

Gummibear

Hi,

i've been making this gummi bear. Somehow I can't get it to look right. I am using an anisotropic as material. I tried quite a lot of things to get it to look like it was rubbery. I got the best results when I defined the colour just over the ambient and incandescence. The actual "colour" is still grey and I only used it to control the brightness. I added a very subtle noise as a bump map. I rendered with raytrace and recractions switched on.
I know it is still too light and should be slightly more transparent. What I can't figure out is how to get the light to be broken in a realistic way. It should look like transparent rubber.
I cannot use mental ray because my graphic card is rubbish, so it would have to be done in the software renderer.
Something like changing the surface thickness sounded good, but did not seem to make a difference.

thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-03-2006 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
Hello,

I've not got any gummi bears at hand but from what I can remember they are a sort of sweet made from jelly. This is how I would make that sort of colour, I would spend a lot more time refinng the shader if it was for me but this should give you an idea. Under the raytracing tab I set the refraction to 1.3.

Like I say I did this very quick as a guide and there are many other ways to make a shader but it should set you on your way.

Good luck,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 10-03-2006 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
wow thanks that was quick,

i'll give it a go when i'm at home

# 4 11-03-2006 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
the texture looks too bumpy, gummy bears are really smooth, more reflective and more transparent, but they have lots of refraction

First year 3D Grad
# 5 11-03-2006 , 07:27 AM
Its too bad you can't use mentalyay coz then i would suggest that you use SSS. that would give a very realistic interpretation of a gummi bear. Be careful with the transparency and refraction because too much will make it look like glass or water.

# 6 11-03-2006 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
I thought that Sub Surface Scattering was to simulate translucent/opaque materials rather than transparent ones. It's also quite an advanced method of shading, I would suggest getting to grips with the basics first. Here is a good tutorial on SSS if you are interested and this refractive index always comes in handy.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 7 11-03-2006 , 11:33 AM
SSS does make for some good rubbery surfaces tho. Its not really all that hard either. There are some tutorials out there that give this a 15minute learning curve. plus some gummi bears look more rubberry than clear plastic and with some added transparency, the SSS would be the best way to go to my knowledge.

# 8 11-03-2006 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber
thanks all of you, the suggestions relly helped.
Yes it's crap I can't use mental ray. Hopefully I'll buy a new comp soon.

I'll post some pics when I got it right.

Last edited by farbtopf; 11-03-2006 at 01:56 PM.
# 9 11-03-2006 , 03:06 PM

Re: Gummibear

Originally posted by farbtopf

I cannot use mental ray because my graphic card is rubbish, so it would have to be done in the software renderer.

Thought that only the hardware renderer was graphics card specific??

What error do you get?

# 10 12-03-2006 , 03:22 AM

Re: Gummibear

Originally posted by farbtopf

Rendering not in realtime has NOTHING to do with your graphics card so if you have problems with mental ray it's the cpu or memory (or a load of other things that hasn't got anything to do with the graphics card)

# 11 13-03-2006 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
I think it prints something like "render aborted blabla..." I can't realy remember. But I did some sort of render diagnostics and it checks your graphics card, and out of eight things maya checked my card did not get a single pass. I can go home and look what it is exactly. Nice of you guys trying to help me.
But it could well be that it is the memory, system, cpu. I'm running maya on an ibook g4 900mhz with 640mb ram. And it is impossible to upgrade any more:headbang:
I want to buy a new comp, but apple is so damn expensive. I might have to go back to windohs, but I realy realy realy do not like it.

anyway, great you try to fix my mental ray problem. If there is any way of getting it going let me know user added image