Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-04-2006 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber

Apples 'Gel' Style

Hi

I'm really struggling to mimic the 'gel style' apple use on there website. (see attached)

I've modelled the objects but I am having real problems with lighting and the shader. I'm using the PhongE shader and for lighting I'm using 2 directional lights

Has anybody tried to recreate this style in 3D space?

Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers

Wayne

Attached Images
# 2 08-04-2006 , 04:58 PM
try MentalRay's dielectric material, its not exacttly like that, but it is very gelly looking.... do you know mentalray and how to use those materials?i can tell you if you dont know

user added image
andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 08-04-2006 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
I'm pretty new especially when it come to rendering!

If you can guide me that would be great!

# 4 08-04-2006 , 05:23 PM
make sure you have the MayatoMR plugin loaded(windows>settings and preferences>plug-in manager)
then you right click and hold on the model and go to materials>assign new materials>Dielectric_material

now the model should turn green.... go to the render globals window...(windows>rendering editors>render globals(or render settings, if using maya 7)) and go to the Render Using dropdown menu in that window, and select Mental Ray.... go to the mental ray tab and go to the tab that says Final Gather, and turn that on, and change final gather rays to around 300(i normally use 1024, but that can take a few minutes to render). go down to the thing that says image based lighting, and click Create, and the attribute editor should come up, now you browse for your HDRI map( https://www.debevec.org/Probes/ has alot of HDRI maps)
Then, click the model, rightclick and hold, go to materials>material attributes, attribute editor should come up, change the col to a very light blue(almost white)
change the lor to around .645, change the col_out to a slightly darker blue... and change lor_out to .066

also change Phong_Coef to 52.892

if this didnt work completely, just tell me

and render, you should get something close to this....

Attached Thumbnails

www.joopson.com
# 5 08-04-2006 , 06:08 PM
obviously, you can change the settings to look better though, lol

www.joopson.com
# 6 09-04-2006 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
yeh... I just not getting quite the look with this method... still looks a bit flat

# 7 09-04-2006 , 01:15 PM
thats why that q was made in photoshop

if you want (when I reinstall photoshop) i could write you how to do it if u have photoshop

in maya, use the text tool, try to get it rounded, and try using area lights and fill lights, and also, I might be able to tell u how to acheive taht effect when I reinstall Maya (and my dad finishes putting security stuff on it!

l8eruser added image
matt

Live the life you love, love the life you live