Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-04-2006 , 08:50 PM

Problems creating a Video using Mentaly Ray

I'm new to animating.. and i've been using tutorials for a while.. so i decided to make a little project of my own.. now..

So i used metal ray dielectric materials to make these spheres i had.. act like they are glass.. and so i made a motion path for them.. and then i tried to use maya software to render the scene but the balls were moving in the scene but they were solid-white... and did not look like glass...

So then i tried to use mental ray to render the scene.. but i couldn't find an extension that would render what i made into an .avi or .mpg format.. what am i doing wrong?? I'm really confused.. and if i didn't describe things clearly its because im a bit confused myself.. :headbang:

here is the tutorial i completed.. and then added onto it.. by having the ball move.."Tutorial I Used"

"How You Like My Nuts to Your Fist Style???"
# 2 17-04-2006 , 08:08 AM
First of all when rendering in maya NEVER render to .avi. Now what you do is in the render globals choose to render out to targa (.tga) and then set the naming convention to "name.#.ext".
Specify wich frame is to be your first (presumably frame 1) and your end frame. Last set framepadding to 4.

When you've done this go under your render tab and choose "batch render". This will make maya render out all of the frames in your animation.

After all of the frames have been rendered use VirtualDub (found at https://www.virtualdub.org/)

In virtualdub choose "open video file" and choose the first frame of your animation. Now you can play or scrub through your animation and see that it looks ok.

To get this into a avi just press ctrl+p and choose your prefered compression type (the best being xvid), press ok and then under file choose "save as avi" and your done. :attn:

That took a while to write so I hope it helps.user added image

# 3 17-04-2006 , 01:13 PM
Thank you!!!

you are glorious!! im going to try it later tonite user added image

why is it BAD to render it into a .avi??

user added image user added image

Also i have Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects 6.0 can I use that and if so how... i've gotten the programs.. haven't found good tutorials on how to use them yet though.. ???

hehe and one more question... when i use Maya Software for my other animations instead of Mental Ray at times.. i should also not render my other animations into .avi format??

and instead follow these exact same steps??? that you gave me??

Thanks Again.. I should start posting and reading this forum.. I am learning so much already :bow:

user added image user added image

Last edited by InsightfulMind; 17-04-2006 at 01:36 PM.
# 4 17-04-2006 , 06:56 PM
and btw it worked user added image and really well.. but i was woundering if someone could direct me to a good website about rendering?? or even a good website about mental ray.. and then.. .tga's and then how to use Adobe Premier Pro..

I'm searching now.. and i find things here and there..

# 5 17-04-2006 , 09:55 PM
Nevermind!!

I figured out how to do it on my own in Adobe Premiere Pro I dunno if its the cleanest or best way.. but i did it.. here are the steps i took... if anyone knows of an easier or better way let me know user added image

1. went to the project window right clicked selected import.. found all the .tga files selected the first one.. then clicked on the Numbered Still button... then hit open..

2.went to file while the .tga file was highlighted in the project window.. and then clicked on file - export - movie.. and then i messed with the settings and got a better resolution .avi file.. that was 13mbs.. *compared to virtual dub that rendered the file in less than 1mb*

Lemme know!!

# 6 18-04-2006 , 01:48 PM
I'm glad that it worked for you. user added image The reason why you shouldn't render to .avi is because if anything happens during you render, say Maya crashes, your avi will never get created. Now imagine that your computer has been rendering for like a day or two and you lose everything during the last 10 min. I promise you wont be happyuser added image .

If you render to images and Maya crashes you will still have everything left that you rendered before the crash. All you have to do then is continue the render from where it stopped.

# 7 18-04-2006 , 02:02 PM
Thanks Again!! I really appreciate it...

One more question do you or anyone for that matter know of any good websites i can use that describe what the different file formats do??

user added image