Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-05-2006 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber

Insanely simple question

:headbang:

I am working on a simple space ship as my first major project in Maya, and I want to add some nice shiny chrome… what are some good settings for Chrome?

"I'd call that beastial masochistic necrophilia, but that would be like beating a dead horse."
# 2 04-05-2006 , 10:13 AM
Have a look on highend 3d and download the texture, it's not as easy as it seems to create a good chrome texture

# 3 04-05-2006 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber
remember u need an environment for the chome to reflect

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 4 04-05-2006 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
Yes, I know that I need something to reflect, but simply taking a Blinn does not give you that nice silver color... it looks like shiny colored plastic...

"I'd call that beastial masochistic necrophilia, but that would be like beating a dead horse."
# 5 04-05-2006 , 11:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
make sure raytracing is turned on in the render globals, or no reflections will render.

# 6 05-05-2006 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber
I have reflections, that is not the issue.. the problem is getting the color I want... it just looks like really shiny grey plastic... how do I get that ultra reflective silver color?

# 7 05-05-2006 , 09:42 PM
If you have Mental Ray you could simply slap on a DGS-material and things will look good.

If you want to use the standard materials I'd probably recommend using a Phong instead of a Blinn. Then fire of an IPR and play with the reflection settings of your material.

# 8 06-05-2006 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber
how do you do this? I do tend to use Mentel Ray... but do not know what a DGS is...

# 9 06-05-2006 , 06:54 AM
There's a really good post about dgs on highend3D.com in the forums. Link: https://www.highend3d.com/boards/inde...owtopic=158994

Now to use a dgs first go to your hypershade. Right above your material selection there's a button saying "Create Maya Nodes". Click on it and choose "Create Mental Ray Nodes". If this option doesn't show make sure Mental ray is loaded. (window>>settings/preferences>>plug-in manager and check loaded next to "Mayatomr.mll")

The material on the very top of the list is a dgs

Hope that helpeduser added image

# 10 12-05-2006 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
well, after much pain and suffering... I found some settings that work fairly well:

Material: Michael’s Chrome
Type – Phong

Common Material Attributes:
Color - pure black
Transparency - pure black
Ambient Color – pure white
Incandescence – dark grey
Bump mapping – water2
Diffuse – 0.800
Translucence – 0.000
Translucence Depth – 0.500
Translucence Focus – 0.500

Specular Shading:
Cosine Power – 2.000
Specular Color – pure white
Reflectivity – 2.000
Reflected Color – pure black

Bump map settings:
Number of waves - 32
Wave time - 1.000
Wave velocity - 0.421
Wave amplitude 1.000
Fast – checked
Wave frequency – 4.000
Sub wave frequency – 0.125
Smoothness – 2.438
Wind UV 1.000 0.000

# 11 14-05-2006 , 09:08 AM
try putting a nice environment file for the reflectivity, instead of just setting it to 2...this will show some immediate results ...

if your going for ultra realisic, you can always try using final gather with HDRI image for the environment ...but that'll eat up alot at render time. Try that if its just for a one frame render.

# 12 18-05-2006 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by varley
try putting a nice environment file for the reflectivity, instead of just setting it to 2...this will show some immediate results ...

if your going for ultra realisic, you can always try using final gather with HDRI image for the environment ...but that'll eat up alot at render time. Try that if its just for a one frame render.

I will try that, this is a space scene so a HDRI image might be overkill, but I will defenetly give it a shot. thanks!!