Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-05-2006 , 01:58 AM

Query windows.

I have been working with a simple MEL script for animation.
The code imports a pixel map and searches through the pixels.
Sometimes the pixels may return wrong and imperfect information. If such error occurs after the script has been executed it is supposed to query the user.
Some simple query interfaces commands that I have been looking at are:
promptDialog;
confirmDialog;

The only thing about these two are that they don't give me the control I want. The user would need more control over the dialog in my case.

One thing that I realized about the promptDialog; and confirm Dialog; commands are that they literally freeze the background interface. If you insert the promptDialog text in the script editor you will notice that the promptDialog blocks any interaction between the user and all the other objects in the interface. It even freezes a while{} loop. I was just wondering if anyone new of a way to replicate the effect of the PromptDialog box with a regular window. The other dialogs are of no use to me because they are not versatile enough.

So in conclusion I need to make a query window of my own that can freeze a while{} loop like a promptDialog would.
If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope you didn't waste your time reading this line.

Last edited by mayakid14; 30-05-2006 at 02:04 AM.
# 2 31-05-2006 , 08:57 PM
Ok. I have been looking around fore solutions to my situation.
I know this seems off the subject a little but I have to restate my question.

There is an executable file in the maya bin directory called xpm2bmp.
When you drag an XPM pixel map over the application it creates a BMP image in the same directory as the XPM pixel map. I was wondering if there was a way by using the "system" command in maya to pass an XPM pixel map into this application to convert it into a bitmap image.

I tried stuff like:

system ("start xpm2bmp C:/Documents and Settings/[username]/[directory]/[filename].XPM");

but I get no results.
Using the command:

system ("start xpm2bmp");

without the filename directory simply opens a black cmd window.

Again I know it is off the subject a little. But I promise it all connects. If I can't do a certain thing with Maya MEL commands, minus well call on an outside resource. That's all I'm trying to do.

If anyone can help me out here or give me a tip, like always, I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope you didn't waste your time reading this line.