View Poll Results: clean wireframe with no detail or crappy wireframe with tris and ngons but looks good
The end result is all that matters 3 37.50%
I'll just keep my wire secret so no one knows it looks so crappy 0 0%
Keep it clean 4 50.00%
Ewww.. N-gons and tris?! 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-06-2006 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber

Whats more important

What do you think is more important on a Model..
A Crappy wireframe, full of tri's and ngons that looks good when rendered, and is still useable for animation with no problem..

or A really nice clean wireframe, that looks like crap when rendered, for some unusual reason...

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 2 04-06-2006 , 05:51 PM
well, see, clean wireframe won't look like crap when rendered, that's the thing

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 04-06-2006 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
ohh..but it can, in the hands of the wrong person..
Crappy textures, Bad rendering settings...
Any number of things can kill a nice wireframe in the final result..

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 4 04-06-2006 , 07:30 PM
but aren't we talking about the wireframe, and not anything else? cuz crappy textures can screw up a bad, good looking mesh too

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 04-06-2006 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
LOZ, on a hard surface model such as you DS9, a clean wire is really a no- brainer; not important. there are no deformations, 99% of the faces will alway remain perfectly planar.
again same for the texturing., simple planar projections should come out nice and clean.

user added image

# 6 05-06-2006 , 04:37 PM
would it actually be posible to model something like a head or a full character without at least a few tris. Im far from an expert but sometimes when i'm modeling or i look carefully at someone elses wireframe i can at least see a few imperfections. As for a car or something solid i think its easier to get all quads.

I guess though towards animation and tweaking towards the end a reaonably clean mesh would be easier to work with, although i would imagine that even people working with games and animation, that they still find problems with certain things.

Food 4 Thought: Does the universe end and if it does, whats behind the universe?