Challenge: Flexible Proceeding!
First a little background, back when I was in art school, one of the early assignments we did was to draw from a hat two words written on a piece of paper. One word was an adjective, the other was a noun. We'd then have to create a piece of art depicting this combination. It was quite challenging!
My assignment combination? "Cylindrical Mike Tyson"
Haha, so what I ended up with was a boxing ring, with a boxer character whose body was a big macaroni tube with arms and legs... and wearing boxing shorts and gloves of course.
So, I thought it'd be a different and unique challenge for us to do something similar. I browsed the web and found this site which generates different adjective and noun cominations:
The title of the challenge above was the first combo that was on there when I visited the site.
So, how about some rules?
Create a piece of art using an adjective/noun combination found from the above site as your "theme." It can be abstract, a true scene, a prop, a character... practically anything goes! But do your best to try to capture the essence of the words that were generated for you!
Obviously I can't stop people from clicking the "Generate" button more than once as they look for a pair of words they like, but if you're wanting to go for a REAL challenge, try to use the first pair given to you!
1) Show progress! This proves that you have worked on the challenge during the challenge timeframe! Show your conceptual process as much as possible! The combinations of words can sometimes be pretty random and thus.... pretty obscure! Concepting ideas out first will be very important to get the creative juices flowing!
2) Label your thread thusly:
July/Aug - Norm or Noob - Your name
Choose to classify yourself as a Normal or Noobie class entry. Whichever class you choose is the class your final submitted entry will compete against! A winner will be chosen from both classes.
You CAN choose to upgrade from Noob to Normal at any point during the challenge. You cannot go from Normal to Noob, however.
3) Mods and Admins can enter, but are inelligible to win. If a mod chooses to participate, choose "Mod" class rather than Norm or Noob.
4) Any 3D application is applicable to participate, but as is obvious, the simply sites' main focus apps at the moment are Maya, Max, Lightwave, and Zbrush. 2D applications such as Photoshop are fine as well, especially for textures and such.
5) All work must be done by the participant. All work must be done within the confines of the challenge dates and not before.
6) Try not to attach images to the forum that are larger than 640x480. Feel free to host larger images yourself using 3rd party means.
7) Only one (1) entrant per applicant. You can work on as many as you'd like but keep it all in one thread. Choose the one you want to enter as your final.
8) Final entries must be posted into a Final Entry thread that a mod will create in the last couple weeks of the challenge. Final entries should consist of the word combination you were given, some form of concept work, and then the final piece. If you have no scanner or camera and no way of posting the concept art, that's fine, but at least try to get it up there as that's one of the more interesting parts of this challenge.
The due date of the challenge is approx. 7am September 8th, USA Pacific time. Get it in before to make sure!
Normal Grand Prize - $400 US!
Newbie Grand Prize - Two Simply DVDs of his/her choice!
Ask any questions here! Make sure you check this thread periodicly for rule updates as we work out the details!