Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-07-2006 , 10:39 PM

Halo Light Passing Through all objects

Hi everyone,

First time posting but have been a member for a couple of years now. I'm having trouble with a volume light. The problem is I have it set with a light glow, and a linear type glow and halo. The problem is the light and glow are passing through all of my objects in my scene. I've tried removiing the light linking to the other objects, no luck. Also I've tried enabling shadows on the ligh, remove the default light for the scene and no luck with any of it. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for the help.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-07-2006 , 11:49 PM
might be I´m wrong, but a glowLight is created in the post and therefor it doesn´t interact with the objects in your scene but is created after rendering. at least I always thought it is that way. to be consequent, if the light is placed behind an object your halo, etc shouldn´t appear at all in the rendered image.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 31-07-2006 , 12:12 AM
well, it´s passing through my objects too. if you put a geometry between light and camera, the glowFX seems to disappear. its amount is depending on how much from the directedDiscShape node is visible behind the geometry.

but in the end it´s only a post process. so I´d use opticalFX only when the origin of the light source isn´t covered by something. In reality, is there even a halo effect when light passes through a medium like glas or something?

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 4 09-09-2006 , 03:44 PM
Subscriber
post process job here. you might want to consider a 3rd program to get this effect.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>