Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-07-2006 , 05:01 AM

Curves problems

Hello everyone!

When you create a curve in Maya 7.0.1 whether it's a CV or EP curve, doesn't matter tried both, create 3 points, drawing box like shape and then use "Open/Close Curve" to close the shape. But in fact the shape won't be closed, because if you go to Attribute Editor it says that the shape is periodic.

I'm doing Maya 3d animation course and i asked teacher to ask Autodesk support about the problem, because we tried everything and it doesn't work. So they responded saying that we need to select any edit point in "Edit point" mode and make datach curves and then the shape becomes closed - well doesn't happen so. The Maya help obviously says to do the same.

If anybody's wondering why in the world i need the closed shape user added image. Well the thing is that Bevel Plus option works with only one shape/curve at a time, but if you select two separate shapes/curves and go to Surfaces>Bevel Plus, then it gives the error and the solvation to this error is to make the curves closed - said Autodesk Maya support.

Oh one more thing to mention, if i make those two separate lines in Illustrator and import them as Adobe illustrator Object, then they're closed and it works the way i need them to work with Bevel Plus. But i consider that such tiny thing should be working inside Maya because it's really nothing complicated.

So if anyone has any idea how to make the curve closed i would greatly appreaciate any help.

Thanks.

# 2 31-07-2006 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

If i'm getting this right, this is how i go about doing curves :

Select the curve tool you need, create the first curve, when you do the second press and hold C on the keyboard and then press and hold the left mouse button, click on the curve you need it to attach to and move the mouse along it, curve should attach it's self to it, move to the end and let go of C and the mouse button, Done user added image .
The when you need to do the last curve, make the second from last point as normal and then do the C/LM buttons and attach the curve onto the other.

They may be other ways but this is how i do my models.

Hope this helps, any probs, feel free to get back.

# 3 31-07-2006 , 03:02 PM
Thank you flamemaster.
But i was talking about completely different thing user added image. You're talking about snapping to curve, which is "C" shortcut but i was talking about how to make the curve closed and not only visually closed, but to have the word "closed" in attribute editor, which is usually periodic.

Anyway i started the same thread at cgtalk and i already got all my answers and i want to share them here as well. First of all it's possible to close only cubic curves and there 2 ways of doing it. One as i described in my first post by selecting Edit Point and making Detach Curves. And another one is making Edit Curves>Offset>Offset Curve - which makes the curve closed but it's easier to make detach command rather than making offset and then deleting the original and etc. etc.

But i needed a closed curve to apply Bevel Plus to two selected curves at once which i thought wasn't possible, but one guy helped me out solving this problem and it turned out to be a bug in Maya which is very funny. When you create curves in perspective view, you then need to rotate curves 90 degrees in X and then apply Bevel Plus to both of them and it will work, but if they're not rotated, then it won't work - the alternative way of doing that is to create curves in front view straight away.

So you don't need the curve to be closed (once again by saying closed i don't only mean to have start point and last point in one location but actually have it saying "closed" in attribute editor). But still i wanted to mention how to make it closed in case if someone needs it user added image.

And here's the link - https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=386684 to thread at cgtalk about it in case if someone's interested but i already summed everything up here and the result is rotating curves 90 degrees in X and only then applying Bevel Plus (when we talk about 2 curves at once).

So i hope that helps.

# 4 31-07-2006 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

Oh well, Glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting me know.

Sounds a strange bug aswell, i'm still usine v6 Maya and i draw curves on any view that i need them, no probs, birail works first go all though i havn't tried the other way.

Thanks.

# 5 28-08-2006 , 11:31 AM

Same Stuff

Hy everybody,

I have encountered the same 'error' and my solution was to make all stuff on Maya 6, because fewer bugs and all my plugs and scripts work just fine. Maya 7 has A LOT of errors, and since Maya 8 has nothing but some stuff that everybody with knoledge of API
is capable of doing in some scrips, i doubt that the "great" Autodesk fix them. I am wondering how much we will have to wait before they do something well. Let's hope....