Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-08-2006 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber

cant merge vertices

i have to polygon objects and when i try to merge 2 vertices
in the channels box it says it has merged but nothing happens?? please help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-08-2006 , 12:05 PM
Open up the merge vertices option box and increase the distance slider. Make sure you do it in small increments, otherwise you will merge vertices that you do not want to.

# 3 06-08-2006 , 05:09 PM

Re: cant merge vertices

Originally posted by viper2416
i have to polygon objects and when i try to merge 2 vertices
in the channels box it says it has merged but nothing happens

did you mispell two like to? if so you need to combine the objects before you merge.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 07-08-2006 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber
yes i did mean two :p i combined and this worked for mergin but when i tryed to convert to sub d is didnt work????

# 5 12-08-2006 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber

See Script Editor for Details

Hiya

SubD's are somehow like a diva. The do refuse to work when the geometry is not the way it should be.

Check the script editor. I bet there is something like "nonmanifold geometry" written in it. Try a Cleanup with the "clear nonmanifold geometry" flag set.

Anyway Maya tells you excatly where the problem is, even if it can't fix it. If you don't find the face or vertex which is causing the trouble, copy the little fellows name from the script editor and paste it in the quick select box on the upper right.

For time saving reasons, it sometimes makes more sense to delete the trouble face and put in a new one instead of trying to fix it.

good luck user added image

---mac---

..the Force is with me (sometimes)