Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-11-2002 , 03:09 PM

sword texturing help please

ok, time to hit the forum with some silly questions.

I started the sword tute and modeled the blade, only I wanted it to have some more obvious signs of use. So I inserted some isoparms and moved CVs around...

now when it comes to mapping, my texture is awefully stretched due to the uneven distribution of isoparms. I get it that you can't edit UVs of a NURBS surface, so how would you go about it? projection mapping will certainly work for this sword, but there has to be a way to do it with UVs. (I noticed the shark has some areas with lots of isoparms too...)

Is there a way to straighten them out?

thanks in advance

# 2 22-11-2002 , 03:16 PM
Umm...without any better knowledge I'd guess one could rebuild the surface so that it has even distribution of the isoparms...

You could also convert the object to polys and then use the UV editing tools user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 22-11-2002 , 03:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
you would need to create your texture to fit the model... rather than vice versa. I have a small tut going over one method of doing this at my site.

# 4 22-11-2002 , 04:43 PM
hmm, thanks for your replies. I guess I'll have to insert more isoparms then, since creating the texture to fit the model won't keep my maps from beeing stretched.

So I guess it's very important with NURBS to keep an even distribution of isoparms, right?

# 5 22-11-2002 , 04:48 PM
If you're a shader guru, you could do your texturing with pure procedural manner (<-is this the right word to use here?). That way you wouldn't have to worry about UVs...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 22-11-2002 , 05:27 PM
heh, thought of that too, but I need to get into these UVs in maya; you can't do everything with procedurals.

and to show that I'm not a complete idiot, here's an image of the blade with loads of inserted isoparms to even it out.

just I'm wondering if this really is the way to do this...

# 7 22-11-2002 , 05:40 PM
The Maya Mountain
why is creating your texture to match your object out of the question?

# 8 22-11-2002 , 06:52 PM
oh it's not. only it wouldn't solve the image stretching problem.
I always go for pretty evenly laid out UVs first. Having the pixels of your texture map packed in one area and stretched in another is just suboptimal IMO.

I also had a look at the tute you mentioned, and that technique is well suited to place texture detail where you want it, but not to prevent image stretching.

# 9 22-11-2002 , 07:35 PM
err, did you understand what I was trying to say?

# 10 22-11-2002 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
If you select your surface and in the Attribute editor, go to Texture maps you can use Fix Texture Warp. It won't update in the viewport though but will during the render.

# 11 22-11-2002 , 09:21 PM
whoohoo! thanks mrmacca. that did the trick. exciting.

thanks a million!