Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-08-2006 , 11:55 AM

Start 3D business

Hi I'm just interest in starting a new 3D Business.
I would like the required means to begin. i'm new bies of maya.
I’ve no previous knowledge in 3D dev I’ve just learn Maya basics.
I also want to know with how many people I should begin.
My dream is to start up a 3D Business and think I’ve enough money to by basic requirement.
best regards.

# 2 21-08-2006 , 12:09 PM
There are some questions and reflections for you:

1 You cant actually start a business based on an area you know little about... well actually you could, but you shouldnt...

2 what product have you in mind to offer?... exactly.

3 what kind of contacts you have in the industry? (ie to who are you going to sell it, and who are you going to hire to do it?)

And money... about money i have to say that if i had the kind of money that starting a 3d bussines requires, i would probably just keep it to myself... and quit working... ever again...

# 3 21-08-2006 , 12:17 PM

1 You cant actually start a business based on an area you know little about... well actually you could, but you shouldnt...

I agree or you you happen to be some rich millionair which can hire some knowledagble people. And don't care if you loose your money.

# 4 22-08-2006 , 05:25 AM
lol :attn:

Starting a 3d business is very hard and you will end up throwing away your money (because you have no experience and no contacts.) it's very typical for people not in this industry to think "how hard can it be?". Try learning the software before you decide you want to do it for a career. It's really not as easy as you seem to think.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 28-08-2006 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber

starting up

It has taken me 6 years to get my contacts and I only have a handful but they keep me in work. I would suggest going to art college for a few years first, anyone can learn the basics of a 3D program but it take years to understand observation.

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 6 28-08-2006 , 08:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
CRASH!!

Falls out of bed and wakes up LOL

Jay

# 7 01-09-2006 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
I've been in animation (mainly 2D) for over 15 years and I can't count the number of times people have asked me to "go into business" with them. I can't count the number of studios (in NYC alone) which have gone "belly up" because the people in charge (talented though they may have been) simply did not know how to run a business!

If you're a newbie, the best you can hope for is to TEAM UP with several others of like mind who know not only the software but who have basic business skills. And yes, unless you are the guy with the geets ($$$$), you're definitely better off learning the software and working your way up.

If you're "running a company", about 105% of your time is going to be spent on the phone trying to drum up work and humoring clients.

I HIGHLY recommend the book "Animation from Script to Screen" by the late Shamus Culhane. Though it was written with the traditional animation studio in mind, the lessons apply to ANY animation studio. He spends a great deal of the book talking about the intricacies of running a studio. It isn't a substitute for business smarts, but it IS worth a read if you have even the slightest inkling of what it's like to run a studio (Culhane ran his own shop from the 1950s until he retired c. 1980).

Good luck and happy learning!

"Ad astra per aspera..."