Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-11-2002 , 06:25 PM

Image Plane - help please

hi,
i dont know where the problem is - as i set image plane and model (when i try to zoom or rotate object) image get blured and it takes a while to reload image. What i mean is yous set up plane rotate/zoom in prespective/side/ front/top view image blures then ~5 sec to reload image (program refreshes automaticly). Is it hardware or is it some setings?

P.S. my pc: AMD k6-2, 128 ram, riva tnt2/m64/32 ram
and yeah i know its from the ice age ;]

Last edited by CrazyOwl; 24-11-2002 at 06:29 PM.
# 2 24-11-2002 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber

Re: Image Plane - help please

Originally posted by CrazyOwl

P.S. my pc: AMD k6-2, 128 ram, riva tnt2/m64/32 ram
and yeah i know its from the ice age ;]

to be honest, it is the ram and the graphics card. but if you have a image map it always slows down alot - and if it is visible in all views it is even much slower - so if you have a image map in perspective, dont let it show anywhere else ...

# 3 24-11-2002 , 07:28 PM
thx, any other sudgestions would be highly aprecheated too ;]

# 4 24-11-2002 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber
oh other solution would be to make the images as low resolution as possible. user added image

# 5 24-11-2002 , 09:34 PM
Kevin
if you are using the standard "image plane " then dont, its a system hog!

make your self a plane of the image size.. add a material / then assign your image to the material

this way is better.. I never use the image plane.

# 6 25-11-2002 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
kev's right!!, image planes are huge system hogs even when i had a 2 gig and a 32 mg ati all-in-wonder card, the image planes moved slow.. but did not take five secs... till i upgraded to a 2.4 with a 128 mg Ti4600 it moved more smother... what i am trying to tell you is img planes are heck a system hog.. as kevin said...

Here's the instructions for making a polygonal plane:
Click Create -> Polygon primtives -> Plane

Now rotate the plane to whatever position you want... then right click the object click assign material - > material attibutes click the checker beside the color section.. then choose file, then choose the image you want the plane to show.. after you have done that,

in the viewport panel click shading -> Hardware texturing

make sure you are in smooth shaded mode or else you wont be able to activate the hardware texturing mode..

Tariq

# 7 25-11-2002 , 01:29 PM

Image plane alpha gain problem

How come my system can handle an image plane fine, but when I change it's alpha gain to say 50% it then starts spluttering all over the place?

# 8 25-11-2002 , 01:49 PM
Kevin

Re: Image plane alpha gain problem

Originally posted by jimgreenslade
How come my system can handle an image plane fine, but when I change it's alpha gain to say 50% it then starts spluttering all over the place?

anything with transparency in will slow your sysem up... it dosnt matter what you are running on mate,

It simply has more calculations to run when you play with the alpha gains - thus slowing the system down