Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-09-2006 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber

Model bloat?

I'm a total Maya newb. So, to learn, I've been working through the Ferrari tutorial. I've noticed that as I convert to sub-d and then back to polys as in the tut, the size of the scene file explodes to 20-30MB. Is this normal in Maya, and is there a way to reduce the size.

Thanks,
ub52

# 2 23-09-2006 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
before u convert back click the option box

chose vertices an it should be fine

this will convert ur model an keep low polys

adaptive will convert but with high poly count thus making ur file huge(udont want this usally)

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 23-09-2006 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber
This is counter to what the tutorial seems to outline. Selecting vertices in the options appears to convert the sub-d's back to the original mesh density, unsuitable for rendering.

Am I to understand by this that in general, car models with enough detail for final rendering in Maya will always be in the 20-50MB range. That seems a bit excessive. My experiences with other apps (eg. LW and Modo) seem much more efficient. I'm not knocking Maya, I'm just trying to understand, If I'm missing something I seriously want to know.

Thanks,
ub52

# 4 23-09-2006 , 07:55 AM
Subscriber
ah i didnt realise u wen trying to keep the creases

this is the porblem with doing it this ways u will end up with a large file size as the poly count will be sky high

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973