Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-10-2006 , 04:07 AM

Transform Component tool relocates - Extrude.

Hey all, im using Maya 8, with a small issue with the transform component tool relocating when switching between local axis mode and global axis mode clicking on the little blue circle.

What i get often with extruding edges and faces is i need to switch to the global axis mode and ill be zoomed in, in front or side view and i switch modes the next thing my tool is off screen and i have to use insert, and pull the pivot point back up manually, zoom in again and repeat that process again.

I have tried using "Center Pivot" command but that doesnt seem to work with this particular tool. Ive noticed in a few tutorial videos the tutor is able to click the change axis modifier button on the tool and have it just switch on the same point it was at.

I took some screenshots of a simple cube that i extruded and swtiched modes showing whats happening:

Before - before swtiching axis modes.

After - after, notice its moved away.

Sorry for the length, hopefully ive explained it well and thanks for reading.

# 2 31-10-2006 , 04:31 AM
Could you point us to those tutorials, because to my knowledge what you are describing is supposed to happen.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 3 31-10-2006 , 04:52 AM
Ohhh.. ok, thanks then i will indeed take a closer look again at them. Happy that things are working as they should, i guess ill get used to it behaving like this.

As for the tutorials mentioned, i would really rather not say as they come from a different group or business than here, so i dont want to spam it here.

I wasnt so much having difficulty completing the tutorials, so much as the tool acting like this seemed weird.

Anyways thanks again user added image