Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-01-2007 , 12:12 PM
CGIJ

Objects stretch when rotating ...

I've got a strange problem. Some of my objects are stretching in one direction when I just want to rotate them.

See this screenshot:
user added image

How those objects were created:
split some polys, extract them, extruded them to give them a little thickness.

I deleted the history on them and freezed the transformation.

What elese can I do? I just want to be able to rotate them without affection their proporions. All other objects rotate fine.

# 2 20-01-2007 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm.

How about the object you extracted it from, and indeed the objects themselves. Were they a part of a group? Trying to move, scale or rotate things like this has been known to cause dramas. I'd point you to a thread where it was mentioned, but I've never had the prob so have never paid too much attention, sorry.

You could always try selecting the problem object then applying the Ungroup command.

S.

# 3 20-01-2007 , 12:37 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Delete History, as sometimes the transform node can get left on object/geometry...

Jay

# 4 20-01-2007 , 12:38 PM
CGIJ
According to your (enhzflep) posting I tried to ungroup, but got the message "Can't ungroup leaf-level transforms". So I searched the web for this and someone recommended to unparent it (shift-p). So I did. And it really worked.
I am curious why a parented object behaves this way, but ok, the important thing is, that I know how to solve this now.

Thank you!

Last edited by CGIJ; 20-01-2007 at 12:42 PM.
# 5 20-01-2007 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
It's pretty common for parented objects to tranform oddly, I can't give you a bang on reason why this is, but I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with transform nodes multiplying transforms due to the connection between child + parent. Deleting history BEFORE you parent it would be my advice but it still might not make a difference.