Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-01-2007 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber

What foot control is best?

Kurt, this message is intended for you, but I also wanted to get other people's feedback if anyone cares to do so. Anyways, I followed a couple of your animation tuts that cover foot controls and I think it's a great way to create proper foot movement. My animation teacher told me he didn't like the way I set up my foot controls on a project and that I should use reverse foot controls instead. I'm sure you've heard of using a reverse foot before. Personally I love the way you do it and I think the foot movement/roll is more natural. Do you have any thoughts on comparing these two ways of controlling the foot?

Thanks,

Shawn

# 2 20-01-2007 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
For me, it's reverse foot all the way.

There are a couple of ways of achieving this, I prefer using null groups but it can be visualy easier to use joints(where each joint is there instead of a null).

What way have you done your foot set up? I've never followed a rigging tutorial from Kurt but the guy knows what he's talking about, so if your tutor is saying it's not right..........hmmmmm.

Can you post a shot of your foot set up, it would offer a point of reference for us all.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 3 20-01-2007 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
Let's see if this works, and hopefully you can see the pics just fine. On this project I was assigned to do the hand and foot controls. So I hope you can somewhat see the joint layout and what not with the way I did it. The highlighted foot control curve has a 'roll' attribute. That's how I achieved the roll.

user added image user added image user added image

Take care,
Shawn

# 4 21-01-2007 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber
Hello shawn,

I think that your tutor could have meant the way in which you have the joints placed, I've never seen that method before. The attached image shows a much more common way of placing joints for a foot set up.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 22-01-2007 , 07:14 AM
^

yep!!

i love reverse foot rigs too. with sliders are nice to animate with also. =)