Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-02-2007 , 08:26 PM
Inspector Lee

Help, my texture is moving!

I really need help! I've never encountered this problem before. A client sent me a model to map & texture, and I'm finished with it. Then I went to test animate it. When I move the model, all the textures slide and shift, as I'm moving it. When I opened the UV texture editor, I could watch the UV map warp, twist and finally explode into a jumble of white lines, as I rotated the model. If I rotate it back to it's original position, the UV map shifts interactively back to it's original position as well.

In messing with it, I've figured out that it has something to do with the "automatic UV mapping" feature. There are a few pieces to this model that were mapped separately using a planar or cylindrical projection (rather than the "automatic mapping"), and those pieces aren't having this problem. So I went back and tried re-mapping one of the troubled sections with a planar projection instead of automatic mapping and the problem is gone. Is there any way I can fix this without remapping the whole thing?
I'm working with Maya 7.0 for Mac, if that matters.

# 2 07-02-2007 , 09:50 PM
search the help files for 'create texture reference'.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 07-02-2007 , 10:12 PM
Inspector Lee
Thanks for the reply, I tried that and it didn't effect the problem.

It's definitely something to do with automatic mapping, I tried creating a brand new simple Poly sphere (in a completely new file), and when I mapped the UVs using "Automatic Mapping" I have the same problem!?
I've tried resetting the default settings for the automatic mapping feature to no avail.
It may be that this is some issue with my system and Maya 7.0.
I was trying to remember, but I don't think I've used auto mapping, since I upgraded to 7.0 (though I used it quite often in 6.0 without any problems)

Last edited by inspector lee; 07-02-2007 at 10:32 PM.
# 4 09-02-2007 , 05:40 PM
Inspector Lee
I found the answer and thought I'd post it here to help anyone else with similar problem. You just have to delete the history after automatic mapping. What I still don't get is why I never had to do this with auto mapping in Maya 6.0??