Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-02-2007 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Bevel question & problem

hey guys, well i want to bevel the egdes(red lines) though i cannot since there is alot of geometry/lines etc. if i remove all them then i have the main shape but i still cant bevel since there will be a heap of vertices but when i delet the vertices soo i can bevel i will lose the main shape. does anyone know how i can overcome this problem?

user added image

# 2 15-02-2007 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
I'm not understanding why there's so much geometry there Marlonuser added image I mean, I understand that a circle has to be cut up into slices, but I don't get why theres so many lines running parallel to the corner edges. I made this one up quickly just using a poly tube with 200 segments ,so it's nice and round. Selected 4 edges - one on each corner then used mjpolytools to select the rest, hit bevel and voila!!

Here's what I mean.
S.

Attached Images
# 3 16-02-2007 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
hey simon thanks for the reply, where abouts is the mjpolytool ... yeah its pretty high geometry. i kind of justed created a half cv circle and then copied it 4 times and lofted... user added image i set it soo when i loft things i get high geometry, needed it for my other project :p

[EDIT: also how did you make it twist again, forgot that how to do]

marlon

Last edited by marlonjohn; 16-02-2007 at 12:15 AM.
# 4 16-02-2007 , 12:51 AM
Senior Software Developer
To bevel that you don't need 3rd party tool, or plugins..

Simply Ctrl & Right Click on a highlighted edge and choose:

Edges > Edge Loop Utilities > Select Edge Loop Tool then dbl click on any edge you want to select and then bevel.. I have this in my shelf as its soooo handy

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 16-02-2007 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
:blush: Oh yeah, of course! - I always forget about maya's own select edge loop tool and select edge ring tool. First time I ever did that was with mjpolytools when following a tute to make a tennis ball. Cheers R@nSiduser added image

But to answer your Q, Marlon - you can find MJPolyTools over here .

As for twisting, I'd draw 1/2 a circle then place a square poly plane at one end of it and extrude the poly plane along the curve. This would be done by selecting the curve then shift selecting the poly face and hitting extrude. From there you go down to the bottom of the options in the channel-box and (a) crank the "divisions" up to a desired value then do the same to "twist". Just remember, you've gotta place the poly plane at the start of the curve, not the end. Just right-click the curve and select Control Vertex. The start is the end with the square and the U instead of the first 2 normal dots.

In a pic:

Attached Images
# 6 16-02-2007 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
haha yeah chris, your right... totally forgot about that :S

much love too you simon because for some reason, yes i know im soo stupid, i individualy selected each and everyone lol... it took me 10 mins! seleceted over 400 edges lol... thanks again for the plugin man! user added image

cool thanks for replys guys user added image