Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-04-2007 , 02:46 PM

Grouping Hair to a head

Hey Guys,

Ive made some hair from curves that ive got grouped to my models head, the only thing is that as the model moves the paint effects hair dosent move with the model, but the curves that it's attached to does which seems a bit strange. everythings grouped under the poly object so it appears that it should work.

I used the nurbs surface to curves which then have a hair system applied to the curves method (so that I can style the hair using the nurbs surface)

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if it sounds a bit confusing.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 14-04-2007 , 01:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

Im a bit confused here, are you using the hair system or PFX, or both?

If its PFX, I usually parent the curves to the cap. I dont use grouping.

Cheers
Jay

# 3 14-04-2007 , 02:09 AM
Hi Jay,

What ive done is created a nurbs hair cap, then created curves from the cap by inserting isoprams, then with them still selected (but not inserted into the nurbs surface) ive then duplicated the surface curves, ive then assigned a hair system with the output as dynamic curves and paint fx to curves that ive created.

Came out looking pretty good, untill ive tried to move it.

The cap and the curves stay where they should, the paint FX moves a lot further than the other objects.

Ive just given parenting it a go but to no avail, think I might scrap the hair system and start over from the nurbs surface again as I might have a double transform somewhere (although it hypergraph is nice and clean)

Cheers

Steve

# 4 14-04-2007 , 03:59 AM
I managed to get it working by deleting the curves, hair etc and just leaving the nurbs surface and then going form there, it now follows the model, so I could only assume that I had a hidden transform somewhere or I grouped/parented it to a wrong node or something.

Cheers

Steve

# 5 14-04-2007 , 06:31 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Steve

Good glad you got it sorted. Im using Maya Complete so I dont have the Luxury/ballache of Unlimited.

With regards to PFX, I dont usually do a nurbs cap then extract the curves from that, it kind of dictates your hair that way. I use around 20 custom drawn curves so I get what I want (no compromises LOL), one curve is also drawn from where the PFX hair will grow, then I just use the curves as control curves for the hair to follow. Then just parent the curves to the head or if it a rigged head, they are parented to the upper most joint.

The only time I use a cap is for fur (at work), its easier to control uvs too!!

Cheers
Jay

# 6 14-04-2007 , 07:05 AM
Cheers Jay

I tried the custom curves then paint effects, but I kept getting "Donald Trump" looking sparcness to it as most of it seemed to end up in the head even though it was set to follow the curves etc.

I ended up doing it this way as I was after making a pony tial and bu styling it using a few curves lofted into a surface and then adding the control curves and the hair system, I can just adjust the nurbs cap that then updates the curves (through the construction history).

The main problem with this method is that you have to have a bloody lot of curves as hair uses a clump system where it makes the curve into a follicle and then makes a clump of hair round that, so it ends up a balance between the curves and the hair clump width, its turned out looking pretty good, at the expense of render times of course!