Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-05-2007 , 09:01 AM

Creating a hole in polygon sphere enquiry...

hi, i am quite new to Maya...
so can you tell me how to cut the 1 edge loop and open up on polygon sphere mesh like creating a eyelid model without affecting number of verts, edges, faces, tris and uvs and duplicating to another model that same no. of verts, edges and faces, tris and uvs as original polygon sphere that have not been cut or modified?

splitting faces and cutting faces cannot solve this problem cos they do increasing the edges, faces, verts.
Any suggestions on this?user added image

# 2 07-05-2007 , 10:16 AM
Not sure if you can do this or not but have you tried selecting the edge loop and doing a detach surface?

One sure way to do it but probably not the best or quickest would be to cut the sphere in half (cut face, detach faces, etc - whatever you prefer) and then only merge the vertices on the half that's not going to be opened.

I'm not skilled with UV's yet so I don't know if or how they'll be effected.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 08-05-2007 , 03:46 AM
Perfecto, thanks for giving a chance to have a hint on how to cut and open up on the face. user added image

# 4 08-05-2007 , 03:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Another idea is to use a Nurbs sphere and adjust the endsweep to your desired angle, easy to animate this too.If you really want a polygon surface why not make the nurbs sphere with the right endsweep then convert it to polygon ?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 08-05-2007 , 10:13 PM