Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-06-2007 , 04:06 AM

Poly to update subd duplicate

Hi everyone,
I want to know how I can create a duplicate of my poly mesh with the following ability.

1. I want the duplicate to be either a smoothed version of my base mesh or a subd.
2. I want to be able to make changes to my base mesh while seeing instant updates to the subd/smoothed duplicate.

I've seen this somewhere but it's been awhile and I don't rember where I saw it.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 22-06-2007 , 07:17 AM
Polygons menu set, Proxy -> sub div proxy (its a smoohted poly model in the axis you choose) not really a sub division surface

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 22-06-2007 , 08:02 AM
Thanks gstr123, not exactly what I was looking for but I think it's still good because the results are basically the same. Thanks!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 22-06-2007 , 09:06 AM
gster123, actually it was exactly what I was looking for. I duplicated my model with instance and then selected the duplicate and applied proxy with subdiv level 3 and subdiv transparency 1.0. Then I turned off Wire on smooth shade.
Now I've got a base mesh and a subdiv that updates automatically when I modify the base. Perfect!

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 22-06-2007 , 10:38 AM
No probs, What I generally do is use a full cube delete half of it then make a instance (same low poly level) untill I get a decent edge loop folw etc, i'll then delete the instance and the history on the low mesh then make the sub div proxy, so I have a half smoothed half low poly model, that way I just make the changes on the low poly model and it's updated on the higher poly model.

Hope it helps and makes sense!!

edit- I generally make the sub div proxy a negatave in the scale that I need, so it goes on the other side.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle