Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-06-2007 , 04:01 AM
Subscriber

Waight painting problem. help please....

hello
I have made some freeky character and skinned a skeleton to it that the arms and legs are controlled by IKhandles. the problem is I am trying to paint the waight on the parts for example the feet and when I am done with painting the waight for each according to each joint, the default waight paint comes back. I even tried to hold them but it did not help. what is missing and how can I avoind having this problem again. to make it easier I have attached the file to this mail

thanks

rsh
# 2 14-07-2007 , 06:04 PM
Subscriber

weight painting problem

When you are painting your weights on to the model you are changing the influence of the joint on that part of the model. Depending on what your ‘max influence’ was set at the time of binding you could end up just moving the weight back and forth from one joint to another.
I’ve had many problems with this myself and found that this way works best for me.
When binding the geometry set the max influence to 1.
Hold all of the weights, and then change the influences to 5 (for a nice smooth falloffs) SKIN – EDIT SMOOTH SKIN – SET MAX INFLUENCES
If you are still having problems and not sure what joint is controlling an area of your model then open the component editor.
WINDOW – GENERAL EDITORS – COMPONENT EDITOR
Select a vertex and under the ‘smooth skins’ tab you can see each joint and its controlling value over that vertex. Here you can manually change the value.

If you have any further problems I’ll be happy to try and help

Thanks
Pete