Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-07-2007 , 04:58 AM
Jr.Who

Rotation Axis Problem

Hey guys,

IÕm having a problem with my rotation axis (at least, thatÕs what I think itÕs called). When I try to scale an object it scales it to the XYZ coordinates, and not the way that my object goes. IÕve tried using Freeze Transformations (because IÕm watching a tutorial, and thatÕs what he does), but it doesnÕt work.

Anyone know whatÕs going on? user added image

-Jr.Who
user added image

# 2 02-07-2007 , 09:47 AM
i dont get what you mean, but it seems that its like that BECAUSE you froze transformations.
what that does is it sets all attributes(scale, rotate, transform, etc.) to 0, and keeps the model in the same position. this is to make it easier to work with, but it also sets the models axis to the world axis.

in other words it resets the little transformation tools to be aligned with the xyz axes, but it doesnt change how the model has been rotated or scaled, etc....

lets say you have a cube, and you rotate it so that its at about a 45 degree angle. if you freeze transformations, it sets the rotation tool back to 0 degrees, but keeps the model at 45 degrees.

im not sure that made sense, but you should understand most of it, haha

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 02-07-2007 , 10:15 AM
Jr.Who
I understand, but in the tut he did a freeze transformations and it went along the axis of the object.

So now that I screwed it up, how do I get it back?

# 4 02-07-2007 , 10:36 AM
you cant, user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com