Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-07-2007 , 02:20 PM

Poly count - confused

I'm doing a tutorial just now where the poly count is important.

I've got it displayed, but it says that the number of triangles is greater than the number of faces (3,880 to 2,738).

How can this be the case, given that a triangle is a face?

thanks,

gubar.

# 2 07-07-2007 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
If your model is completly triangulated then I am a little confused as to why your triangles are more than your faces, however if there a mixture of both triangles and quads in your model this may explain the strange numbers.

Chris

# 3 07-07-2007 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
Shouldn't it be like that though? In my work triangles are always greater than the faces. For example, 200tris are equal to 100faces, presuming that are all quad and four sided ....

Do you get what i mean?

# 4 07-07-2007 , 07:08 PM
I see what you mean, but I don't think Maya makes that distinction, or adds up two triangular faces to equal one quadrilateral face - to it, a face is a face, regardless of how many sides it has I think..

After some clean up, my problem has gone - though I still don't see how it ever arose.

thanks,

gubar.

# 5 07-07-2007 , 09:09 PM
its not a problem.

what it does is it takes the mesh, and finds out how many faces it has.

and where it says tris, thats how many faces there would be if all the quads were split in half and were triangular.

its that simple, tris will always be around twice as much if working mainly with quads

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 07-07-2007 , 09:41 PM
Thanks joopson,

it makes sense now. It's not actually a count of the triangles in the scene but of the potential triangles.

To the previous poster - you were right too then - Maya does do what you suggested when creating the total number for the triangles.

cheers guys,

gubar.