Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-07-2007 , 02:05 AM

move along normal

What does it mean to move something along its normal? What's the difference between moving something along its normal or using the move tool?

the_brein

# 2 14-07-2007 , 08:30 PM
Im not certain but I think it means you are moving it along one of
its axis x/y/z.

# 3 14-07-2007 , 08:39 PM
If you look at the normals (on a poly face) it points in the direction of where it faces, so if you have an object say a sphere and you select on of the faces and need to move it out a but but not in XYZ but in the direction its facing you would move it along its normal

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 15-07-2007 , 12:01 AM
is this specifically for faces? I never move faces, just verts and maybe edges. Is it ever practical to move faces?

# 5 15-07-2007 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
No m8, for edges on faces. Very handy for moving and scaling edges on angular objects. Arms in 45 degree poses for instance.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 6 15-07-2007 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber
normals are perpendicular to the face/edge or even vertex. sometimes its easier to move along the n than take two handles to get the same result. look at the move options (jep, your ordinary move tool) and there is besides local world normal too. click on it and look what happens.

# 7 15-07-2007 , 04:09 AM
Ah yes silly me, I remembered it during work that the normals isnt the zyx, but Isnt it default to move along normals? (I get it when I hit the move button once, and then again if i want to move xyz axis.)

# 8 15-07-2007 , 07:20 AM

Originally posted by AlphaFlyte
No m8, for edges on faces. Very handy for moving and scaling edges on angular objects. Arms in 45 degree poses for instance.

makes sense now. I think the key word is perpendicular movement to the object selected.