Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-08-2007 , 03:58 AM

UV mapping

Hi again. I'm sure there's going to be a collective groan when I ask my question, but let me say before anyone asks that the maya help files aren't really that helpful since the menus and selections they tell you to pick are either labelled differently or filed somewhere else.

Anyways, I have this fine mess that I'm trying to get auto-mapped.

Maya PLE's help file tells me to "From the modeling menu set, select Create UVs > Automatic Mapping > []"

Unfortunately, I cannot find said modelling menu set, or anything that looks like "Create UVs" or "Automatic Mapping"

Big question: How do I arrange this UV into something I can export into photoshop? Also, HOW do I export this into photoshop? (I tried with a simple polygon sphere without any success)

# 2 04-08-2007 , 09:49 AM
That was a rather large question... You can find the modeling set meny in your upperleft corner(Should be set to modeling by default i think to.) Just change it to modelling.

Under polygons or subdivison polygons I think you can find the different ways to Uv map (Planar cylindrical etc.) Google it to find some tutorial. user added image

# 3 04-08-2007 , 09:58 AM
Hi,

in newer versions of maya, it's not called the modelling menu set, but the polygon menu set. Then, as was suggested above, select automatic mapping from the create UVs drop down menu.

I've just finished a book called The Game Artist's Guide to Maya - it's worthwhile, and contains a good chapter on creating UV maps. I learnt a lot from it.

cheers,

gubar

# 4 04-08-2007 , 10:18 AM
Nice, I didnt know you were a writer. user added image

You got some information page about it? :p

# 5 04-08-2007 , 10:47 AM
HAve you got the help files for maya 8/8.5? Just that my Help files say that its under polygons, exactly where it is.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 04-08-2007 , 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Weyu
Nice, I didnt know you were a writer. user added image

You got some information page about it? :p

Hi, you've got me wrong - I meant that, I've just finished working through the book. It is written by Michael McKinley (a lead artist for Bungie, makers of the Halo games). I had a couple of issued with the book but generally found it excellent - it goes through the process of modelling (with reference photos), rigging, skinning, creating character and sub character sets, little bit of set driven keys, blend shapes, animating, using the trax editor and uv mapping. Even if you're not into games it's a really good introduction to a lot of key concepts.

cheers,

gubar

# 7 04-08-2007 , 09:10 PM
I looked again and I couldn't find anything that remotely looked like "Create UVs" or any other drop menus that had anything that looked like "align UVs..."

This is under polygons:
user added image

Is this disabled in Maya PLE?

# 8 04-08-2007 , 09:17 PM
Jr.Who
Look to the top left of the screen, not the view.
user added image

# 9 05-08-2007 , 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Look to the top left of the screen, not the view.
user added image

Ehhh??

Its in the main view panel in the polygon menu set, not the uv texture editor, heres a screen grab

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 05-08-2007 , 08:24 AM
a better one, didnt realise that it would be that small when posted!

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 05-08-2007 , 09:52 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Ehhh??

Its in the main view panel in the polygon menu set, not the uv texture editor, heres a screen grab

He was looking at the Polygon menu in the view, I was directing him to the right thing (the Polygon menu set in the top left of the screen).

# 12 08-08-2007 , 04:52 PM
Got it, thanks!