Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-09-2007 , 08:52 AM

university horror stories

alright!!

i have just finished a 3 year university animation degree course and feel i'm now safe to talk about the crappy lecturers without the fear or it effecting my grades.

here goes, my lecturers are by far the most worst teachers ever period!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reason being they neglected to teach us any thing i mean the guy who was teaching us maya didn't even teach us how to model anything, i mean wtf!! and when ever you asked him for help he would refer you to some site like highend 3d or something, one time i asked him for help and he was like " how the hell should i know", what kind of lecturer replies like that, i was shocked.

thats not even the worst thing alot of the time durring the lectures they would put on a cartoon and tell us to watch it, what do they think we are 10 year olds?

they were also very rude and patronising, to the point that i almost lost my rag and came close to kicking the sh*t out of one of them.

alright maybe the university i attended might not have been the best but it's not the worst eighter and i expect a certain standerd.

i hear people talking about how they had really good lectures who helped them and made things fun and intresting, and here's me with the worst incompetent people people ever!!

anyway if any of you guys here have any similar stories please share

p.s is it o.k for me to post pics of the lectures here or names, or will that get me banned,

# 2 01-09-2007 , 12:00 PM
Subscriber
I am wondering where in the world you went to uni - as you could tell us that without naming names

# 3 01-09-2007 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by tweetytunes
I am wondering where in the world you went to uni - as you could tell us that without naming names

oh man sounds like they were really bad at their jobs, i hope the get whats comming to them

Last edited by jali; 01-09-2007 at 07:00 PM.
# 4 01-09-2007 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber

that's what i want to know too!!!!

Last edited by jali; 01-09-2007 at 07:02 PM.
# 5 01-09-2007 , 07:58 PM
And you spent how much $$$ on this course???

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 01-09-2007 , 08:11 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
And you spent how much $$$ on this course???

hi

The tuition fee was £1120 per year and my course lasted 3 years,

that makes it £3360, and i'm not mentioning things like travel cost which by the way was well over $500 a year,

# 7 01-09-2007 , 09:23 PM
SM Tea Boy
Post away if it's that bad people should know.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 8 01-09-2007 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber
yes plz - I want details, so here are mine

I went to Swansea Institute and man the whole thing was self learning all the way. The staff knew very little and what they did know was straight out of a book (which most of the time I had them sat on my shelf at home).

What they did do was make me look at what I was doing when it came to projects - which was a good thing, but many times I also felt they kept holding me back with things I wanted to do.

I know I learned a lot my time there, but I know most of it came from online sites and training dvds. I fact the more time that passes the more

There is one exception which was Dave Morgan (he was the head of Multimedia and teached A.V) Just in case anyone from there read this.

# 9 01-09-2007 , 11:25 PM

Originally posted by David
Post away if it's that bad people should know.

seeing as how i've been given the green light, i'm now going to
post some pics of the offenders. i'm sick of people who cant teach getting teaching jobs, anyway these are the so called lecturers who taught or should i say neglected to teach us anything, and the university they lecture at is the the university of wolverhampton

Attached Images

Last edited by ninjax123; 02-09-2007 at 06:36 AM.
# 10 01-09-2007 , 11:29 PM

yes plz - I want details, so here are mine

I went to Swansea Institute and man the whole thing was self learning all the way. The staff knew very little and what they did know was straight out of a book (which most of the time I had them sat on my shelf at home).

What they did do was make me look at what I was doing when it came to projects - which was a good thing, but many times I also felt they kept holding me back with things I wanted to do.

I know I learned a lot my time there, but I know most of it came from online sites and training dvds. I fact the more time that passes the more

There is one exception which was Dave Morgan (he was the head of Multimedia and teached A.V) Just in case anyone from there read this.

no way man !!!!!

thats the way it was at the university i went to aswell, if it wasn't for sites like this and the excellent dvd's by digital tutors and gnomon i would have been screwed

# 11 02-09-2007 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber
In my first year we started a lighting and texture modual and the guy came in and no word of a lie, the first words out his mouth was "Don`t ask me about uv mapping - I don`t have a clue". thats right here was here to teach TEXTURING - oh and he had no photoshop skills aswell

His only movie/animation history was working for jim henson stuides london on "brotherhood of the wolf" as a puppet handler.

The second year we were having composting lessons and the shake liecne ran out after 3 weeks. That then took 5 weeks to sort out. That gave us 1 week of further lessons leavening us with no skills what so ever with a project on composting due in 3 weeks later. When we complained about it we were told it was a animation cause not a software learning cause - we should have learnt a different piece of software.

I think its a Britsh thing. I know a few people who have been to other uni`s and have told me the same story. Uni/collages in the states get people from the industry the best we got was some old 2d animators (which has its good points but only a few).

I just worked with a girl who went to uni in Germany and she was taught a lot and just look what is coming out of Vancover. I have heard some good things about Bourmouth but nothing but horrors stories from tee-side (think thats how its spelt)

Swansea Int has got a good name for itself but I think its because the students who go there do learn a lot for them selfs and don`t let the teachers get them down

ps I love the fact you posted images of them I think thats well funny :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Last edited by tweetytunes; 02-09-2007 at 09:10 AM.
# 12 02-09-2007 , 06:24 PM

In my first year we started a lighting and texture modual and the guy came in and no word of a lie, the first words out his mouth was "Don`t ask me about uv mapping - I don`t have a clue". thats right here was here to teach TEXTURING - oh and he had no photoshop skills aswell

His only movie/animation history was working for jim henson stuides london on "brotherhood of the wolf" as a puppet handler.

The second year we were having composting lessons and the shake liecne ran out after 3 weeks. That then took 5 weeks to sort out. That gave us 1 week of further lessons leavening us with no skills what so ever with a project on composting due in 3 weeks later. When we complained about it we were told it was a animation cause not a software learning cause - we should have learnt a different piece of software.

I think its a Britsh thing. I know a few people who have been to other uni`s and have told me the same story. Uni/collages in the states get people from the industry the best we got was some old 2d animators (which has its good points but only a few).

I just worked with a girl who went to uni in Germany and she was taught a lot and just look what is coming out of Vancover. I have heard some good things about Bourmouth but nothing but horrors stories from tee-side (think thats how its spelt)

Swansea Int has got a good name for itself but I think its because the students who go there do learn a lot for them selfs and don`t let the teachers get them down

ps I love the fact you posted images of them I think thats well funny :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

the exact same thing happend at the university i attended too and when we complained they did nothing about it,
anyway i had to post the pics, from the looks of it they've been getting away with not teaching students properly for years now,
get this you see the chubby faced cow on the end she even bought in her kid one day to one of our lectures because she said she couldn't find a babysiter, the lecture was sopposed to be two and and a half hours long she made us leave 2 hours early, what the hell does she think this is some kind of nursery,
i think your right about it being a brithish thing beacuse durring my final year with had some chinese exchange students and their
3d work was insanly good i mean they put the lecturer to shame with the skills.

# 13 02-09-2007 , 07:28 PM
And you guys get this kind of quality when you pay thousands to a university? Man, thats pretty bad, its something you would expect from a state high school, not an expensive course.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 14 02-09-2007 , 08:39 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
And you guys get this kind of quality when you pay thousands to a university? Man, thats pretty bad, its something you would expect from a state high school, not an expensive course.

my feelings exactly, the university as a whole is pretty good, it just seems a few lecturers aren't very good at their jobs, anyway i hope they get whats comming to them

# 15 02-09-2007 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
im off to uni this year

im going to swansea

i went to bornemouth got in but didnt get the grades but at bournemouth i though all the lecturers were stuck up a bit - they had no banter with any one including staff

yes i to have heard of some horror stories at teesside most of them told by other unis and people at interviews

you guys were luck with ur £1120 tut fees
i have to pay £3070 a year for 3 years

edit: i was told uni was gonna be mainly self taught - my math teacher told me that for him a theory was explained once then a problem given and 2 weeks to solve it, if they didnt know how they had to research and learn themselves/in group

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973

Last edited by pbman; 02-09-2007 at 11:04 PM.