Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-01-2008 , 06:17 AM

small 3870 xt problem

I have brought a new gfx card and went with the ATI 3870 XT due to the fact that it is pretty much the same as the nvidia gt and 70 pounds cheaper. I have had some probs with Maya though, it takes a while to select largish poly objects and pick out verts or edges and if you select a edge or vert from the front and there is one in the same place on the reverse side it will select that one instead. These are not major problems but it can be a pain at times and things were a lot faster with my old x850 xt platinum.

If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated.

# 2 24-02-2008 , 07:41 PM
Hey leonlabyk,

I've been looking for a new card recently to replace my old 6800GT and stumbled on your post.

I haven't made up my mind between going with an Nvidia
GF 8800 or an ATI 3870.

But like you, I'm leaning towards ATI because overall I can
get one for a good deal cheaper then a Geforce.

Anyway, I came across this. Hopefully it will work with a
Radeon 3870:

https://area.autodesk.com/index.php/f...ad/2041/#12593

# 3 25-02-2008 , 12:47 AM
I am now using vista 64 bit along with maya 64 bit and the problem vanished. Imagine the newest drivers would of fixed the problem if you are using a 32bit version and os though.

Not sure if nvidia has decided to actually support maya with the new geforce 9000 series but if they have it may be worth looking into.

Cheers,

Leon

# 4 02-03-2008 , 07:23 AM
Thanks for posting back leonlabyk.

So other then that did you encounter any other issues?

I've decided to do a full system upgrade and ordered
almost all my parts except the gfx card.

Nothing so far on the GF 9600 and Maya.

# 5 02-03-2008 , 02:13 PM
No probs what so ever as far as with vitsa and maya. Cannot comment with xp though since I am no longer running it.

Hope this helps