Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-12-2002 , 08:29 AM
Subscriber

Merging 2 Halves Seemlessly

Could someone please walk me through merging two sides of a Poly head without creating a seem?

Thanks,
M:banana:

# 2 30-12-2002 , 12:57 PM
Well, to start, is it a nice even edge, or is it not even, so that when you mirror it, do the vert's line up, or not? THanks
brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 30-12-2002 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
It should be. I snapped all the edge vertices to the middle grid line before duplicating.

In Maya do you need to snap edges as well as vertice? I guess I'm used to Max where you just snap the vertex.

Thanks,
Muser added image

# 4 30-12-2002 , 09:31 PM
this is probably a dumb question, but did you go to polygons, Mirror Geometry? If it worked, and you still got a crease, thats ok. All you need to do is go to, edit Polygons, then at the bottom, Normals, And click on the extention for soften harden edges. Make sure it is on 30, and hit apply, that should work. Let me know. THanks,
Be

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 01-01-2003 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
I tried what you suggested, but the seem still seems to be there. I did a quick render in case it helps to illustrate the problem.

Thanks Brian!

Happy New Year!!!

user added image

# 6 01-01-2003 , 02:39 AM
Once all the vertices are merged and you dont have any border edges where the seem is. Make sure your normals are all facing the same way if not go. Edit polygons>Normals>conform.

Than repeat what brian said

Edit polygons>Normals>Soft/Harden option box> select all soft> hit apply

That should do it.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb