Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-03-2008 , 03:20 PM

Blend shapes questions

Hi folks,

should I add these before or after I bind and paint my mesh to a skeleton? Also, do I need to copy the whole mesh to make the shape or just the area in question (could I just duplicate the face faces for a smile for example).

Finally, any issues I should be aware off?

thanks again

gubar

# 2 19-03-2008 , 05:41 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I make my blendshapes before rigging and you shouldn't attach everything , for blendshapes you"ll need for starters only the head(some people include a bit of the chest to simulate breathing).
And yes there are issues that could arise, but not neccesarily user added image

good luckuser added image

# 3 21-03-2008 , 01:04 PM
Hi,

thanks for the response.

I have tried just duplicating the faces I need, or duplicating them all the deleting those I don't need, but in each case it will fail to make a blend shape - it says that the meshes don't match. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, can I safely bind and paint him before the blend shapes? It's just that I'm keen to get him rigged up first if possible - can I just adjust the deformation order later in the inputs list?

thanks again,

gubar

# 4 21-03-2008 , 02:41 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Select the faces you want to use as blendshape then select extract (somewhere in the polygon menu i believe)
Then go to objectmode and you have to separate objects head and body now you can select the head and duplicate it several times for your blendshapes.

And a final advice;
Don't rush it just take the time you need every step off the way; my motto is first do it good then quick.

# 5 21-03-2008 , 03:11 PM
Ok, thanks again for that.

If I do that on a bound mesh... can I recombine the head with the rest of the body, merge the verts, and have it maintain the original weights?

thanks,

gubar