Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-03-2008 , 07:57 PM

mirror / duplicate problem

Hi all,

Whenever i mirror or duplicate a model (namely the heads of characters) I always end up with a crease down the middle of the head. I've made sure everything is perfectly symmetrical and centred on the x axis and so on, but it keeps happening.

On low poly models Ive been getting away with merging the vertexes of each side after duplicating, which makes it less noticeable, but on higher poly models this will take forever.

Anyone got any hints or tips?

Thanks
Dave

# 2 28-03-2008 , 08:10 PM
Give it a bit of a tweek with the smooth artisan tool

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 29-03-2008 , 12:14 AM
every thing should work fine, make sure your pivot as well as your componenets are on your 0 axis.

# 4 29-03-2008 , 06:45 PM
It works for me if I just go to front view select all the vertixes with a nice thin line then just set merge to a really small amount. (If your vertices are on the exact same spot you can take 0.00001 or whatever. user added image)

# 5 30-03-2008 , 06:17 AM
Weyu can you explain step by step how you do it? I only seem to have the option of changing the mirror axis?

# 6 30-03-2008 , 02:45 PM
First mirror the model like usual with mirror geometry.

Then go to the front view and select all vertices that makes that ugly line(the "border" vertices that you want to become normal vertices)

Then go to the Polygon menu >> Edit mesh >> Merge, hit the "box" to the right of it to open the options.

Here change the threshold to a really small amount(If you have the vertices on a exact straight line, the higher the threshold the larger is the risk that you merge som vertices that you dont want to merge.

If you want the vertices to be on the exact same line use this Mel command.

"move -a -ws -x 0;" But replace x with Y or Z if needed, and change the zero to how far away from the center it is, or more simply just move the line to the center so that it aligns without having to use any measuring tool. user added image

I hope it helped.

Edit: Remember if you duplicate your model then you have to the Polygon menu>>Mesh>>Combine before you can select and merge your vertices.

Why does merging vertices take long time for you? It is like 2-3 cliks and then its done, or did you try to merge them one at a time?

Last edited by Weyu; 30-03-2008 at 02:49 PM.
# 7 26-04-2008 , 10:56 AM
I also have this problem. In v8.5, Mesh>Mirror Geometry>Settings......there is 'Merge with the Original' selection and 'Merge Vertices' radio button.
When I have these selected and click Apply, it still merges more than 2 vertices (which I dont want). I've even tried modifying the Merge Vert threshod (via, Edi Mesh>Merge>Settings and changind threshld value to 0.00001. I've also ensured all my verts are snapped to the Y axis.

can anyone help, specifically with this 'Merge with Original' route?
Thanks
s6x