Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-04-2008 , 06:25 AM
Subscriber

ncloth collision problem

Hi I'm working on this for a university project and I'm having trouble with the ncloth passive rigid obejct.

The cloth is sandwiched between two objects back and front. I want both objects to collide with the cloth, but at the moment only the back object is successfully colliding.

I have checked the normals on the front object and the geometry seems to have enough verts for a collision. I have tried turning up the damping.

Does anyone have any more suggestions?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-04-2008 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
When I was working on my movie I was having a simular problem but it really comes down to tweaking all the settings.

There was a small problem with ncloth in 8 and 8.5 where a attribute gets locked in ncloth with joints in the scene, and I had to get someone from Autodesk to send me some code. It meant that once the cloth was simulated once it would not perform it probably again if there was bones in the scene. I see from the screen shot that there is so give it a try

Here is the code (I saved this email) #

open the script editor ant type

getAttr -l time1.ihi

hit Enter... if the Result is "0" then the attribute is not locked.. if the result is "1" then type

setAttr -l 0 time1.ihi

to unlock it

hope it helps

# 3 09-04-2008 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by tweetytunes

open the script editor ant type

getAttr -l time1.ihi

hit Enter... if the Result is "0" then the attribute is not locked..

Thanks for your reply. I tried this code in the script editor but it doesn't return anything...does that mean the result is 0?

I'm trying to change various things in the scene i.e. trying the collision objects at different distances from the cloth to see if that is an issue, and just messing with the parameters for the nclothShape to see if anything helps. No joy as yet.

The collisions seem to fail when the obejcts get really close together.

# 4 09-04-2008 , 09:15 AM
Have you tried simply faking it with a non-rendering poly object as the passive in place of your actual geo?

Also, just to make sure, the 2nd object you are trying to make passive, it is polys correct?

Let us knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 09-04-2008 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
I've tried lots of things now including replacing both passive rigids with non-rendered planes (if nothing else, this helped to get a clearer view of what's going on and rule out geometry issues)

It's not perfect yet, but what seems to have helped the most is in the rigidShape attribute box there's an option to display the collsion thickness. By tweaking the collison thickness for each object and moving the objects different distances apart I am finding that the ncloth is now coliding with both rigids.

I think ncloth doesn't much like being squashed between two rigids like this, but hopefully I can make it work now.

Thanks for your posts : )

# 6 09-04-2008 , 07:17 PM
Sweet!

Good to know as I'm "POSSIBLY" starting work on an nCloth SM video this Sat. and during my tests I've noticed that same sort of problem.

I'll email Dunkan B. about it to see if he has anything to help us regarding thatuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com