Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-04-2008 , 10:19 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Macs

Because Vista is so bad im thinking of getting a mac when it comes round to getting a new pc (which i sorly need)
But ive never really looked into it before so i need to know a few things
1. what kind of software do you get as standerd? Do you get shake?
2. does boot ccome as standard
3. can i use all my pc peparials on a mac such as my graphics tablet? and if i cant can i use them running windows with bootcamp?
4. do they use the sme parts as a pc IE can i stick my ATI graphics card in one?

ive looked at afew sites but havent found a straight answer and i dont have much time cos my internet has been down all week and theres no sign of it coming back on anytime soon
cheers for any help

Last edited by elephantinc; 10-04-2008 at 10:28 PM.

# 2 10-04-2008 , 11:16 PM
Not too sure what you get as standard, I really really dont think you will get shake as standard, in fact I think apple have stoped supporting it, you will probably get generic softwares to do things.

I think boot camp does come as standard, but you will still need your copy of windows, to me bootcamps a bit of a waste, your buying a mac, paying the a premium for it, and then going to install and run windows on it....

If it was my momey I would get a nice PC with XP, youll get more for your money, and your sure to be able to upgrade to the latest technology when it comes out, Mac's tend to be a bit behind in hardware even though its the same as in a PC, graphics are behind by afew months, and I dont think that you can get a blue ray drive for a mac at the moment, or if you can its a new intorduction in the past few months or so.

As for upgrades, you can but I doubt it will be trouble free in the sense thatyou'll need the right bit of kit, I mean I can go and get ATI, NVIDIA any card and it will work but on a mac I'm not too sure.

I really cant see a gain in getting a mac, although they look better.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

# 3 11-04-2008 , 02:41 AM
Jr.Who

Re: Macs

Originally posted by elephantinc
1. what kind of software do you get as standerd? Do you get shake?
2. does boot ccome as standard
3. can i use all my pc peparials on a mac such as my graphics tablet? and if i cant can i use them running windows with bootcamp?
4. do they use the sme parts as a pc IE can i stick my ATI graphics card in one?

1. You would get stuff like iLife standard, but not Shake.
2. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Boot Camp is standard, but I've never used it. If I had an Intel Mac, I'd just get something like Parallels Desktop.
3. Depends on what tablet you have. As far as I know, it should work, but you're going to want to check the manufacturer's site to make sure.
4. I don't think you can put your video card in there, unless it said on the box that it's Mac compatible.

Go and check out the Apple site, they'll have all the info you'd want on them.

https://www.apple.com/getamac/
https://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac.html
https://www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/
https://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

# 4 11-04-2008 , 12:36 PM
Vista isn't bad if you have a capable computer. for me its amazing

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

# 5 11-04-2008 , 05:59 PM
Macs use different firmware so PC cards can't be used in a Mac. On the subject of cards, I don't think you can even buy cards for a Mac, you have to shell out money so a technician can come over and upgrade for you. At least this is what my friend who has a Mac told me.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!

# 6 11-04-2008 , 08:51 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
ok
it will probably depend on if i get a laptop or a desktop to wether i get a pc or mac
but ill have to look into it more once my internet is back online
thanx for all the helpuser added image

# 7 11-04-2008 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Hey boot camp come with os leopard as standard. If you wanna get a mac check this guide first. Its just a guide of when things are rumored to come out so you don't buy a machine and a week later a new version comes out.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I use a wacom tablet and it works with both pc and mac.
I have to say i use a mac with maya and its great, Think it will take a while to get used to a mac if you're used to a PC but its worth it.

# 8 11-04-2008 , 10:11 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
ok
it will probably depend on if i get a laptop or a desktop to wether i get a pc or mac
but ill have to look into it more once my internet is back online
thanx for all the helpuser added image

Macs are like Mc Donalds meals, you can change em a bit but there pretty set in what you get, PC's are a la carte, you choose the spec that you want

# 9 12-04-2008 , 12:38 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by The Architect
I don't think you can even buy cards for a Mac, you have to shell out money so a technician can come over and upgrade for you. At least this is what my friend who has a Mac told me.

Your friend is wrong then. user added image

You can buy them, they usually have a sticker that says Mac version on them.

Here's another link for you elephantinc:

https://chris.pirillo.com/2008/02/14/...ples-mac-os-x/

# 10 12-04-2008 , 12:46 AM
I did a quick Google search and I proved myself wrong... user added image

# 11 12-04-2008 , 12:47 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
thanx fot all the help guys
i really wish i had internet access at the moment so i could look at all these links
BTW does anyone else have problems with pipex?

# 12 12-04-2008 , 12:53 AM
Umm... if you don't have internet access now, how did you post? user added image

# 13 12-04-2008 , 02:46 AM
Nicer BSOD, LOL like getting kicked in the nuts with a pair of Armarni shoes!! "oh dam a BSOD, well at least it looks nice, i'll sit and admire it..." That would be the first thing on my mind, NOT! Also Ive got to say I've not had a BSOD at all on my laptop of my desktop...

Is still cant fiure out, if I was going to a mac, why would I want to pay the premium for the computer for a start, have less upgrade possibilities and then install windows on the bloody thing via boot camp or a emulator just to use software!! Like having a dog and barking yourself!

I thought I was loosing my mind when we had a mac pro on trial here when I looked at the spec and the price, it was like £3200, £510 for a raid card!!! The equivelent PC was £2500, with faster RAM and a better graphics!

# 14 12-04-2008 , 04:25 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Is still cant fiure out, if I was going to a mac, why would I want to pay the premium for the computer for a start, have less upgrade possibilities…

I thought I was loosing my mind when we had a mac pro on trial here when I looked at the spec and the price, it was like £3200, £510 for a raid card!!! The equivelent PC was £2500, with faster RAM and a better graphics!

Why do you keep rattling on about upgrading possibilities? I've never had a problem with mine. My dad got a hard drive and a bunch of extra RAM, and he's not crying about it.

Yeah, it really is a pain to pay more for a Mac. You don't have to worry about hackers, viruses, the massive amount of problems with the OS, hardware problems (I can't even begin to list off how many people I see complaining about the price of Macs and how they're just the same as PCs, then talk about how many problems they're having with their PC…), etc.

Oh, the price we pay. user added image

# 15 12-04-2008 , 06:14 AM
I'm only going to say this once guys, stay on topic or I will close this thread.

Over the many years we've closed mac vs. pc threads before, as they never end up constructive.
Only zealotry. period.

So please stay OT. That is alluser added image party on.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com