Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-05-2008 , 09:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

HeadCases Models

Hey all

thought I'd share with you some of the models I did for ITVs new satire programme HeadCases which airs here in the UK on a Sunday night. Overall I built and rebuilt around 30 characters out of 64 for the show over a 4 month period, though I didnt get to render them all out unfortunately. Here's 10 of them anyway:

Nicolas Sarkosy

user added image

Condoleeza Rice

user added image

Madonna

user added image

Fabio Capello

user added image

Jordan/KatiePrice

user added image

Jacqui Smith MP

user added image

David Cameron MP (a)

user added image

David Cameron MP (b)

user added image

Bono

user added image

Amy Winehouse

user added image

enjoy!!

Jay

# 2 03-05-2008 , 09:17 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
very nice
ive seen that advetised, ill have to take a look
user added image

# 3 03-05-2008 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
hahha those are some funny renditions of the real people, good job... don't live in the UK so I wont be able to watch it but I like those, haha.

# 4 03-05-2008 , 09:58 PM
ha ha ha - nice job jay - i especially like the condoleeza rice one - the teeth and forehead really make it! user added image

# 5 03-05-2008 , 11:02 PM

# 6 04-05-2008 , 02:12 AM
spot on user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 7 05-05-2008 , 03:50 PM
gotta agrre-these are spot on Jay-Amy winehouse-just uncanny likeness-I laughed myself silly and bono is superb!

# 8 05-05-2008 , 04:30 PM
really nice characters!

# 9 05-05-2008 , 04:33 PM
thanks guys, check out the link in the post above, 3rd or fourth up you can download the episodes that have already been on tv...cheers
Jay

# 10 06-05-2008 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
they're a scream user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 11 06-05-2008 , 09:16 PM
Cheers Mirek

_Jay

# 12 06-05-2008 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
got to ask mate.., did you go through the whole traditional thing.., drawing them out until you 'found the one' and model from there.., or did you wing it (i already know the answer.., its a stupid question.., you planned it right.., thats your normal style user added image )

Muser added image

# 13 06-05-2008 , 09:49 PM
Mirek

these were for an animated tv series called HeadCases, (see link a couple of posts up)

They were designed by a guy called Mark Reeve who is one of the coolest people Ive ever met (crossed between Jim Morrison and Mark Bolan) and very funny. He work on a similar show a few years back called Spitting Image where he was one of the original clay sculptors plus has drawn a graphic novel for DC Comics. The design for these characters were then approved accordingly by Henry Naylor the shows Director

I had the pleasure of working with Mark on a one to one basis everyday. He doesnt actually do 3d so it was a real eye opener for him but at the same time I got to delve into anatomy in a greater depth along with him. So ideas were constantly being bounced back and forth. I actually built 30 out of 64 characters in 4 months. Most were built in 2 to 3 days (8-9 hr working days) Mark would approve the models once they matched the sketches, he usually left me to get on with it though I would always check to make sure the model was going in the right direction for him and matching the sketches as best as possible.

we also had the arduous task of rebuilding models from the other guys in the other studio, I was the only character modeler in the London studio, while the others were in Manchester. The models were sent to us as well to give the once over for correcting or a complete rebuild in some cases. Either way it was a great time on this job in particular....

cheers
Jay

# 14 06-05-2008 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
its stuff like that which makes all the years of hardwork worthwhile.., not to forget this is a great example of a given production pipeline.

cheers jay great stuff.., user added image

# 15 06-05-2008 , 11:36 PM
Thanks Mirek

Yes you're absolutely right. It does make it worth the while, occasions like this dont always occur on a regular basis, so its always best to grasp with both hands....firmly

cheers
Jay