Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-05-2008 , 08:17 AM

Polygon modeling

I'm new to maya, and was wondering if there is a way to "project" a circle, not a NURBS circle, just like a simple circle, low poly, onto a poly plane, with faces so you can extrude out a circle from that plane. Is there any way?

# 2 08-05-2008 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
I am only currently aware that you could do so by using booleans to add say a cylinder to a plane or a cube. But I would not recommend it if you are taking it beyond the scope of anything basic. I would suggest that you draw out a nurbs circle infront of where you want it to appear on your surface/face and then add geometry to the face and shape it into the circle and extrude those faces out.

-Alexander

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 08-05-2008 , 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry pieinthesky1, polys don't work like that (unless theres something I missed) you can use the split poly tool.

- Genny
# 4 08-05-2008 , 11:00 AM
do it all with nurbs! create a nurbs plane, a nurbs circle, project the curve onto the plane's surface, perform a trim, duplicate the circle and move it out to where you want it, and then do a loft and then a planar on the outer circle to cap it off!

(almost sounds more complicated than splitting the poly plane all to hell to get a circular extrusion, doesn't it? <sigh>)

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 08-05-2008 , 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
lol NeoStrider, true. He asked about polys sooo that was my answer to his prob. pieinthesky1, the poly modelling workflow probably isn't what you'd want to use in this situation then. :p

- Genny
# 6 08-05-2008 , 02:18 PM
oh i totally stand by your answer too, i was just tryin' to be an ass user added image

Accept no substitutions.