Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-05-2008 , 12:06 AM

What the . . . Render help!

Okay, I'm stuck.

I've got 1 file, I'm trying to render it on 3 machines. The only difference I've made is in the Render Globals I've divied up the frame numbers, so CPU 1 is rendering 1-100, CPU 2 is doing 101-200, etc.

Well, CPU 2 is working fine. It's cranking 'em right out.

CPU 1 and 3 are hanging up on the first frame they try to render. It starts, it even creates the file (1k), and then it stayed hung up on 0%. I've let them sit and they just stay there.

I'm at work, so the 3 machines I'm using are identical in performance/setup.

I'm not getting any errors, so I have no idea what's wrong. All three machines render just fine with Maya Software, but 1 and 3 get hung up with MR. What gives?

# 2 10-05-2008 , 04:27 AM
P.S. I've tried rendering the same frame set as CPU 2 on others, and that's not working. So we know it's not just certain frames that it likes or doesn't like.

I'm now trying to do this on a 4th computer (my own, at home). This time, when I try to batch render, it gives me:

"// Error: Could not create command port : jeff:7835"

My name is Jeff, so I'm not sure what it's trying to access here but it sounds like a permissions thing? Ugh. Help?

# 3 10-05-2008 , 08:01 AM
First off, try rebooting your computer. If that doesn't work, you may have a firewall or anti-virus program blocking the port so you wanna straighten that out. You may want to disconnect from the internet and disable your anti-virus stuff while rendering. If that doesn't work rendering from the comand line should do the trick.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 4 10-05-2008 , 09:43 AM
Thanks, I'll look into the firewall/anti-virus stuff.

Is there a way to render from the command line when rendering with Mental Ray? I've been looking for a solution to that all day. Everything I try, I still end up with images rendered with Maya Software renderer.

# 5 10-05-2008 , 03:40 PM
Batch Rendering Farm: https://www.lamrug.org/presentations/...nder_farm_.htm

As for he command line render go Start->Run and type cmd. Go to your scene directory and then type
render -r mr FILENAMEHERE.mb
-r tells the comp that you're gonna pick a render type and mr is mental ray. Good luck.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 6 10-05-2008 , 07:09 PM
Seriously, thanks so much. That saved me a lot of time. Here goes nuthin!