Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 25-05-2008 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber

Border edges where arm attaches?

Alright I've modeled this female character and I was going to give Roadkill uv editor a shot since I haven't used it yet but have had it for quite a while. I opened up the manual and started following instructions. First thing was to make sure Live Unwrap was ticked and then click unwrap, and right there is where my problem started. I get this in the maya window:

RoadKill;
// Error: Mesh requires cleanup //

So I go to mesh and go to cleanup and then try again and get the same error. It shows the parts that need to be cleaned up are where the arm and body attached together. They highlighted the vertices and I highlighted the boarder in the picture below.

Anyone have any idea how to clean this up or fix this? I've been trying for about a half hour now and I can't figure out how to clean this up.

user added image

I must also say this edge has been bothering me since I connected it, no way to make it look like a smooth transaction between the arm and the body.

Thanks in advance to any possible help given.

# 2 25-05-2008 , 01:30 PM
Hi,

try and select the verts and see if there are any double verts (one on top of another).

Failing that, it sounds as if the normals on the arm may be facing the other way from the body. Select polygons > display > face normals to check this. You can then either select normals > conform (with the object selected) to get them all facing in the same direction, or manually reverse them by selecting the faces and choosing normals > reverse.

If you still have an issue and none of the above works, sometimes just deleting the ring of faces, then appending new polygons to fill the gap will work.

good luck

gubar

# 3 25-05-2008 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber
I fixed the normals and it seemed to work, it's no longer highlighting vertices but now when I do the live unwrap (or any other option) I'm getting this message

// Warning: No items found to cleanup. //
hilite polySurface21 ;

# 4 25-05-2008 , 03:42 PM
Sorry never used roadkill so don't know what is going on there.

gubar

# 5 25-05-2008 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
well thanks for the help so far, one less step to figure out now.

# 6 25-05-2008 , 04:11 PM
Just a thought - since it's referring to the cleanup operation in the message from roadkill - you could try deleting your object's history.

Seems odd it, maybe getting rid of it would help.

cheres

gubar

# 7 25-05-2008 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber
I've already tried that and it didn't do anything... it seems there is a poly somewhere that's messed up. It's in a group of other polys so when I click on that one in the outliner it highlights all of them, if the poly is something that should be there to begin with then I could just delete it.