Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-07-2008 , 05:16 PM

Salmon Steak's

Hey Guys

A little project that I've been playing about with in between my research and learning a mocap system.

I used a few principles from the gnomon tutorial, but its heavily modified, I mainly got the basic Idea from it then went from there, the final output is a simplified version using a completly different light set up, the things that were from the tutorial's pretty much the idea for the salmon texture, using the wood procedural. I like to get an idea then try it for myself with a lot of messing about, that way I understand it better!

I'ts all procedural textures, the only thing that's from a photo texture is the table, that includes the bump, although another bump is daisy chained above it, to provide extra texture to it.

The salmon used the maya SSS fast shader with the mix 20 layer to add the wetness (which needs sorting).

Theres a few things that I'll tune up as i;m not happy with the final result shown, by far, again comes down to lighting, i'll have a fiddle.

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 2 22-07-2008 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
i like the plate and table....

sorry, that's about all user added image

the main subject looks like two blocks of wood, like you just took a tree and cut it up and then painted it. the edges look too.... edge-like, too sharp
something about the texture gets to me too... it... it doesn't pop out to me as being salmon... looks really really dirty, like it's been a child's toy for the past few years and it's been played with and never washed.

sorry...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 22-07-2008 , 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Hey not bad, finally that wood procedural actually has a use (I never thought it made a believable wood texture even when I opened Maya for the first time). Whats the white stuff on the top of the steaks though? It looks like freezerburn and maybe the SSS should be stronger since I can't see any of that going on, you know, just to add some 'fleshy-ness' and as far as the plate goes, I think it looks a bit too reflective to be china. Also, I don't think theres a problem with the way the lighting looks.

- Genny
# 4 22-07-2008 , 08:56 PM
That looks pretty good. The things I would change though are that the salmon is... I think a little too brown on the right side. Maybe that's just the lighting though. Also, the salmon is a little bit too shiny to be regular salmon. It kind of looks like a plastic piece of salmon with all the reflections.

Good job though, keep it up!user added image

# 5 23-07-2008 , 04:56 AM
Yeah, as I said theres lots of stuff that needs sorting, got to say that learning to daisy chain bumps so you have multiple bump maps on one material, and using procedural textures, that I think we all pretty much ignore was a nice addition.

I'll have a fiddle with the settings of the materials, and post up when I've nailed it.

# 6 23-07-2008 , 05:48 AM
Senior Software Developer
The main crit I have Steve is the fish itself...

It's too shiney and too dark in colour. Salmon filets have more of a dull sheen to it and a lighter pink/peach colour, and tbh I would use a lambert or a modified blinn for it... I dont think it looks like wood at all tbh, its all tweaking and lighting as you said. Oh and the bumps are very good, and sit well with the surface...

I think the render reminds me of an oil painting... Now that cant be a bad thing... Good work anyway m8

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 24-07-2008 , 01:05 AM
very nice mate - especially since it's all from procedurals - definitely agree with r@nsid - and i think the flesh needs to break apart a bit more like fish does - i think that will help break up the spec and give it less of a varnish type sheen. user added image

# 8 24-07-2008 , 04:00 AM
Hi gster,

I think the texture looks really good, only real problem is the reflectivity/secularity which makes it look to solid - kind of like it's just out of the freezer.

gubar

# 9 25-07-2008 , 12:26 AM
Think i might squeeze a render out tomorrow whilst nursing a hangover, with the tweeks on the specs.

I always start off too shiney though! haha!

Cheers

Steve