Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-07-2008 , 08:51 PM

Apply UV texture to the model (before or after smooth?)???

hi everyone,

I would like to know what is the best before or after the smooth object to apply uv mapping?
I applied uv to the object before the smooth, when I try to smooth it , some faces or uv's get stretched, need help

# 2 27-07-2008 , 10:01 PM
I know from my experience that it's easier before smoothing...
did you delete history before smoothing? it might do the trick. If it won't then you might have some parts of your mash that require some cleanup.
I don't know exactly what causes UVs to distort so I can't help you more then that.
Hope it helps,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 27-07-2008 , 11:36 PM
it shouldn't make any difference, though it's usually easier to layout uvs before smoothing. post a pic so we can see what's going on.

# 4 28-07-2008 , 02:32 AM
thanks for the advice, I apply all the uv's before smooth, but when I apply smooth after texturing i see some edges gets stretched , look at the screen shot please see if you can help me

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 28-07-2008 , 02:42 AM
Lifetime Member
It's hard to tell whats going on but from what I can see from the image I would think this a topology problem, can you post a lose up wire of the offending area please ?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 6 28-07-2008 , 02:55 AM
Senior Software Developer
UV mapping prior to a smooth will make a difference as you are changing the UV count and layout from its lower verison. The smooth operation adds more detail (polygons) and therefore more UV's.

I recommend converting to Sub-D and then telling the Sub-D to inherit UV Layout from the poly. Far easier and should cause minimal to zero loss of UV information.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 28-07-2008 , 03:10 AM
yeah that is true, when you make it smooth, you get more uv's, so how can i fix that, sub-d bit problem with rendering,
need more info guy's

thanks again

# 8 28-07-2008 , 03:12 AM
i might be wrong, but i don't think the problem doesn't have anything to do with your uvs - i think it's a problem with your modeling - if you don't want that area to stretch you need to add more geometry in that area. post a wire!

Last edited by arran; 28-07-2008 at 03:46 AM.
# 9 28-07-2008 , 03:40 AM
Lifetime Member
I think you are right Arran as I said earlier I think it's a topology issue, when you smooth a UV'ed and textured object the texture should not stretch.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 10 28-07-2008 , 04:37 PM
This has noting to do with UVs. If you don't want the edges to stretch you need to either make these edges hard (hard edges on a model can look pretty nasty. If you're going this way try adding some divisions to the section first) or add some edge loops around them (which will reduce their stretch to the new edge loop only)
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 11 28-07-2008 , 06:12 PM
hi guys thanks for the advice. I added more edge around ,so far looks nice, just i need tweak bit the uv's again , also the corner gets bit nasty(3angles faces). I am trying to fix that as well.

here the result

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dubai3d; 28-07-2008 at 06:16 PM.