Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-08-2008 , 12:35 PM

I need help to animate like fade object to full

Hello MindMasters,

I have a problem that i want to share with you. I want to make an animation which i want to start nothing then faded and then full model. Means in start its look transparent from one side and then it would be shaded from one side to another then it will be complete model.
Is there any idea to make this animation?

Thanks in advance....
Faisal

# 2 13-08-2008 , 02:26 PM
Try by lower the transperancy to 0 then lets say in 25 frame move the transperancy up and so on and so on ... if i understand you correctly what you want

# 3 13-08-2008 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber
keyframe the alpha values of your materials

i'm assuming oyu know where the transparency is for the materials and that by right clicking you can bring up the context menu which has an option to keyframe it

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 14-08-2008 , 10:23 AM

Thanks Big brothers but....

Brother Thooth, you are right but i want to animate transperency from one side to another means one corner first visible then it will be continued till the last corner.

And Brother Chirone, where i find Alpha of a material plese brief me. Thank you very much.

Ali Faisal

# 5 14-08-2008 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber
i currently don't have access to Maya but once i do i'll tell you (unless someone beats me to it)

but just a few more questions...

is your model a single mesh? or does it have lots of seperated parts to it?

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 6 14-08-2008 , 02:34 PM

Re: Thanks Big brothers but....

Originally posted by Muhammad Ali Faisal
Brother Thooth, you are right but i want to animate transperency from one side to another means one corner first visible then it will be continued till the last corner.

And Brother Chirone, where i find Alpha of a material plese brief me. Thank you very much.

Ali Faisal

Brother tooth :lmao: :lmao:
Well , i've tried some things but not workin. Ii will be watching this to learn how to do this ... user added image user added image

# 7 14-08-2008 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
Alpha is another word that gets used for transparency in graphics

to bring up the material attributes you can either do it from the hypershade
or you can select the object with the material
hold down right click, and let go on "Material Attribute..."

you'll see under Common Material Attributes a value for Transparency (circled in red), just move the slider (circled in green) from one end to the other and just right click on the square (in this screen shot its the black box in the middle of my coloured circles) and hit Set Key

then just go to another frame, and do the same

of course, using this method means you will see the entire object appear all at once.
it wasn't too clear from your original post if this was what you were after or not

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 14-08-2008 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
however if you're wanting to fade in something from one corner of the mesh to another
then you can do this by connecting a ramp to the transparency and set the key on the ramp's colour's positions

if this is the effect you wanted then i'll explain more detail

# 9 14-08-2008 , 08:11 PM

Thanks I got it Chirone....

Thank you very much, I got it as per you said.

"You can do this by connecting a ramp to the transparency and set the key on the ramp's colour's positions"

Thank you very much again for help me for this ...

Muhammad Ali Fasial

# 10 14-08-2008 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
no worries dude, i didn't actually know how to do this myself, but i had a fair idea on how it would be done

i did check to make sure i knew what i was talking about though! :p

# 11 10-06-2016 , 12:23 AM
Well instead of starting another topic, I thought I would piggy back off of this one. I have a model with various textures, how do I fade the entire model in and out without having to do each texture 1 by 1? I can select visibility on or off, but I want to gradually fade it.

I can't really edit it in post, as the scene will be moving and it won't be static.

edit: I was reading up on other posts, and Moderator Alan stated to setup a driven key. Then connect them all to 1 attribute, how do I do that? I am going to google it, and if I don't get back that means for some reason I can't find out how.

Edit: Ok, I found out how to do it. Setting a driven key does work, but it still does not fade it. By moving the Driver it just makes the object completely disappear, and does not do a fade effect.

Any help would be great,
Thanks
nick

Last edited by nick2181; 10-06-2016 at 01:19 AM.