Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 01-11-2008 , 01:28 PM

Maya 5 texturing

Hi,

I have been upgrading models for a game, but would like to know if it's possible to change the way textures are applied?

I've attached a .ma file I use, so hopefully someone can give me a heads up.

The game will only accept models created with this version of Maya btw.

Many thanks.

DM

Attached Files
File Type: zip sergio2008.zip (199.4 KB, 157 views)
# 2 04-11-2008 , 07:07 AM
45 views and not one reply :headbang:

I thought this was the place to get advice user added image

DM

# 3 04-11-2008 , 08:23 AM
Subscriber
45 views by people who don't know the answer probably...most of them are probably non-members who are just looking around to see if they can score any tips without actually asking
(most of them came out to reply to a particular thread with "i been watching these forums for a long time but this is my first post, happy birthday' so that's why i can say that)

what do you mean 'is it possible to change the way textures are applied'?

there's only one way to apply textures and that's by texture mapping, unless you use solid texture synthesis of course...

but you're UV's are all over the place still in that attachment user added image

and... what game only accepts files from such an old version of maya? user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 04-11-2008 , 02:39 PM
Sorry, I'm a real newbie and have no idea what you mean by "uv's all messed up"

All I do is move verts about to change the shape a bit.

The query is really to find out how the texture's are applied as some stretch badly and I did not know if it was possible to texture the ma file differently.

Thanks for your reply

DM

# 5 04-11-2008 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
open your scene, select your model and go Edit UV's > UV Texture editor under the polygon menu set

you'll see this cartisian graph and all these lines on it

a UV is a 2d coordinate
texture mapping projects the UV coordinates onto the 3d model's vertices

you'll notice in your scene that all the UV's are all over the place and not in the upper right quadrant.
when you apply a texture map the texture map appears in the upper left quadrant
anything outside it will be mapped back to a coordinate between 0 and 1 inclusive on the x ans y axis

have i lost you yet? i've thrown in a small bit of math words because saying 'squares' and 'points' will get confusing.
i hope you know what 'map' and 'project' means...

the way your model is set up you'll have to bring all your uv points back to the upper right quadrant, rescale, and do a few other funky things.

read up about texture mapping, what it is, how it works, and what its for
and if you find a tutorial about it then that's great (such things exist for free in the maya help files)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 04-11-2008 , 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
I think your texture is stretching because some of your UVs appear skewed, when you're laying them out, try not to distort them so much.

- Genny