Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-12-2008 , 01:05 AM

Creating a moon?

So yet another question from me. How can I create a moon in Maya? I have a world sphere with a dark background, and I have a moon sphere which looks a bit like a moon. How do I make it glow and cast realistic light? I have a directional light placed in the moon currently but while it's lighting the scene it's not making the moon "glow" so to speak. Grateful for advices user added image

# 2 07-12-2008 , 03:20 AM
You need to play around with the material attributes.
Incandescence and glow values can be used to achieve a glow.

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 07-12-2008 , 03:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
You dont need to do it in Maya, do it in Photoshop its far easier. Theres a great example over here

https://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorial...planets_01.asp

Most movies use a matte projection for this type of work as you can get a greater detail in a painting

I was after something similar to this ages back, but I have my own method these days...enjoy

Jay

# 4 07-12-2008 , 04:58 AM
Thanks. I'll look into both of these methods. What are you current methods Jay? user added image

Anyway, I was also considering making some really simple stars. I was thinking that it should be possible to just add point lights and make them very centered light sources. Unfortunately, I can't really seem to get that effect, would I need to do the same thing to add stars?

# 5 07-12-2008 , 05:27 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
stars can be done in Ps as well, create a file and fill it black, then add filters> 999 noise then go to filters>stylize>diffuse and use the darken option a few times until you are happy.

I do a similiar effect with the texture by using spherize but after that I use overlay duplicates and I then paint in my own clouds/storms, outer glows etc and atmosphic shads.

Jay