Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-05-2009 , 07:27 AM

Maya depth map shadows are rendered wrong

Hi there. I am (still) a novice and trying get to grips with Maya. Sometimes I hit a snag but tend to overcome it after some googling but this one is sticking...

I am following a lighting tutorial but after playing around, this happens when I use Depth Map Shadows. I have deleted all my lights and reset Mental Ray to both preview and production but I still get the "scetch" effect. I have tried diffirent settings in both my Penumbra and Dropoff settings.

user added image

When I use Ray Trace shadows, it works. (Just a quick render to show it does.)

user added image

I hope someone can help, its really anoying and frustrating atm, but I want to puch through but dont want to start all over, I think it might be something in the level, not the lights...
Thank you in advance!

Software
Windows XP SP3
Maya 8.0

System Specs
Intel E8500
Geforce GTX 285 (Driver ver : 180.87)
4GB System Ram

# 2 23-05-2009 , 10:29 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
With depth map shadows you have to understand that fiddling with the resolution, filtersize or bias of the shadow can give strange results when rendering.
I don't remember exactly in what way it connects to each other since i haven't done depth map shadows in a while.
But googling or pressing F1 will help you i think, it did once for me

Good luck

# 3 23-05-2009 , 04:50 PM
Hi,

I believe like mastone said it's down to filter size and map size. With depth map shadows the light basically projects a texture into the scene and creates a shadow map based on it. If the texture is too small then you will get stepped edges, unless you use a larger filter size (which will blur the stepped edges together, simulating soft shadows). If you want sharp shadows you need to use a larger map size but with a lower filter.

So small map + high filter = soft shadow edges.

Large maps = sharper shadows.

Hope that helps,

cheers

gubar

# 4 25-05-2009 , 01:33 PM
You guys are but struggling to get the shadows to render correctly...

Thanks guys!!!