Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-09-2009 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber

Medieval Props

Hey Guys,
So im trying to develop my game art portfolio so time to start making more low poly stuff so after some thought and some inspiration im going for a Medieval Theme. Just debating if i go slightly stylised (Fable style) or more realistic.

First Prop im going to be making is a simple Cart, using Turbo Squid and Google Images as sources for references. Other stuff i will be making will include Gallows, Barrels, Stocks... Maybe even a building/castle.

Keep eyes peeled should have some stuff appearing 2morow.

T

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk

Last edited by bigtommyb; 14-09-2009 at 06:39 PM.
# 2 15-09-2009 , 12:00 AM
i reckon have a look at the style of games which populate the shelves at them moment which seem to be more realistic just in my mind if youre trying to get a job they will be comparing you to other artists on the other hand they will want to see your versatility so i reckon why not do one model but try to texture it both ways ??? hmm actually dont do that i am lol

# 3 16-09-2009 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
as a person who model's for a hobby

i would also be interested in seeing these kind of game poly features

i know my model has far to many polys for a game but i think it would be educational to see how much better a low poly with textures would look

I honestly do look forward to your future medieval works.

still gonna get those wireframes ... as usual, it hasnt been the top priority for me at the present time to get these images but ... ( for your pillory, if you looked at mine .. i forgot to show the post that goes inside the middle square .. i made mine with 3 holes so the height of the pillory can go different levels)

just food for thought i guess .. anyway .. looking forward to see your models

# 4 03-10-2009 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Sorry for delays on this project! Life has gotten in the way but im starting it again as of.... now! So as its gonna be game spec im gonna set my self some limitations which are as follows!

For a 3rd person style game (Assassins Creed/Gears of War)
500 Polys (Approx)
256 or 512 Texture and Normal map (gonna see if 256 is enough)

Software im going be be using is Maya 2008, Photoshop CS3 and Crazybump. I should really look at learning Z Brush / Mudbox but i find z brush intimidating and confusing and im using a mouse so it doesnt really feel right either.

So thats the plan should have something new by end of the day *fingers crossed*

T

Just had a little after thought on the style idea... i think im gonna have a go at Toon style texturing. Ive not really tried it before but i think it will be fun.

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk

Last edited by bigtommyb; 03-10-2009 at 04:38 PM.