Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-11-2009 , 06:34 PM
Simply Maya OG

The Beginning

This is my VERY first attempt at modeling a head. Ive only put about an hours worth of work into it, and for it being my very first try, I presonally think its quite good so far. After the head is completed, I plan on making the rest of the body. Not going for a completely realistic look here, but not completely cartoony. Progress will probably pretty slow, as I dont have much free time with having a 9 month old baby. Comments, crits?

user added image

user added image

- Hybrid
# 2 11-11-2009 , 07:49 PM
The thin red line
You will have the same problem I had with edge flow above the nostrol you will need to change it there, poly count a bit high for early stage of modeling...hope this helps dave

# 3 12-11-2009 , 12:41 AM
Yeah, it's much easier keeping the poly count as low as possible during each stage of the modeling. Also, don't worry about how much time you put into it. It's MUCH better if you take your time and do it right rather than try and rush it. Since it's your first, take your time and have fun.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 12-11-2009 , 01:55 AM
Simply Maya OG
Thanks guys. Im working on refining the nose right now, hence the amount of polys around that area. Im sure I'll be able to cut down abit. Same for the lip/chin area. Once I get the basic shape of it, Im sure I'll be able to cut down on the poly count abit.

And Im not worried about how long it'll take me. I just want it to look decent for a first time head model.

daverave - Can you be abit more specific about what your talking about? The edge flow above the nostral?

- Hybrid
# 5 12-11-2009 , 10:18 AM
The thin red line
If you delete edge where I have indecated then use the split poly tool to re interaduce the edge at point 1 and 2 should help the flow, you will find this handy for future work (ear mouth)

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 17-11-2009 , 06:53 PM
Simply Maya OG
Ok, so I got rid of some geometry around the mouth/nose area, so its not as cluttered, geometry wise. Im still trying to work on reducing the goemetry around the side of the head area.

Also, Im in need of some help around the lip area. I know there are supposed to be edge loops, but with the way my geometry is currently, I dont see how I can make it a loop around the lips. Any ideas, guys?

user added image

- Hybrid
# 7 17-11-2009 , 07:53 PM
The thin red line
Use the split polly tool to cut the red lines first then the blue next, the delete the bit pointed at to made all 4 vertices pollys hope this makes sence, if you had not deleted the mouth poligons I would have extruded

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 17-11-2009 at 09:20 PM.
# 8 17-11-2009 , 10:52 PM
Simply Maya OG
Awesome, thanks for the help Dave. After looking at it all drawn out like you did, it makes complete sense. Should of thought of that myself. :headbang:

- Hybrid
# 9 17-11-2009 , 11:33 PM
The thin red line
you will, have you press 3 to see how things are dave

# 10 20-11-2009 , 05:34 PM
Simply Maya OG
I completely rebuilt the mouth area so it had actual loops. Just a small update picture.

Attached Thumbnails

- Hybrid
# 11 30-11-2009 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
nice start so far... from here i would start to slowly pull out muscle/bone definition and work around from there. convert it to subdiv, adjust some areas go back into polygon and so forth. mostly trial and error,

i would also recommend looking at the topology thread in the WIP section, just as to get an overview of how the face topology works, if you havnt already...

keep going user added image