Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-01-2010 , 06:04 AM

Maya 8 Computer configuration

Hi,

I've been playing around with maya 8 for over a year now and I love it! Information that i have been finding suggest that the more memory you have on your computer is better. I presently have 4GB of memory on my system. Been thinking of upgrading my computer to one that has more memory (8GB). Was curious as to what other maya users computer configurations are and is more memory really necessary for 3D modeling? Also, any recommendations for a computer configuration would be helpful

Gary

# 2 16-01-2010 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
you need a 64bit OS to run 8GB of RAM, but you probably already knew that user added image

as for what i have...

intel core2 quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
8GB DDR2 ram, 800MHz
some ati graphics card... 4580? i dunno... i forget, whatever one came out last last year around september/august

and windows 7 64bit pro

i previously had 4GB and i watched my ram after upgrading to 8gb and i just saw my computer suddenly use just over 4 when i opened up a scene
but yeah, more ram means you can do more inside maya provided it supports 64bit stuff, well... you can do more stuff with less waiting around waiting for things to process

don't know any hardware configuration to run maya on.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 17-01-2010 , 05:50 AM
Technical Director
Look at the qualification charts that Autodesk provides on the Maya product page.

I would stay away from consumer graphics cards, such as Geforce or Radeon, as they are tempermental with high end 3d applications such as Maya.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 17-01-2010 , 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Consumer cards work just fine for me, I'm using a GeForce GTX 260.

- Genny
# 5 17-01-2010 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
While next design is correct about graphics cards..
For those like myself who cannot afford a fire gl card or a Quattro card...
I have used both ati and Geforce cards with Maya...they both work but are very temperamental as NExt design stated..
My own personal experience lends to using Geforce cards when ever possible. As they do seem more stable and cooperative with Maya and other 3d applications then ATI cards do ...this may however change since AMD is now the developer of the ATI GPU's...and AMD has a habit of making very stable chipsets.

That being said, i curently am Running an Ati card , 9800 XT pro 256 meg...I cannot get Maya to run on it without using Omega drivers...I have sadly a ATI 1950 Pro XGE 512 meg video card, that i could be using but i cannot get it to load maya at all, cracked drivers, stock drivers, old drivers, no matter what i try..
Which is a good example for Next Designs case against using consumer cards.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 6 17-01-2010 , 06:16 PM
Technical Director
The lowest priced FireGL card supported for Maya 8 that is still available, the FireGL V3300 (driver version 8.263), runs for about $161 CND. So it's cheaper than many consumer cards, and you at least know this one is going to work.

legendofzombi: I disagree about saying that Geforce cards are more stable than ATI. At work, we all have ATI cards, as they have better support for OpenGL, which is what Maya uses as its graphics API. We have always had problems with Geforce cards.

More details can be found here: https://download.autodesk.com/us/maya...ya_80_win.html

Last edited by NextDesign; 17-01-2010 at 06:19 PM.
# 7 18-01-2010 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
Funny mate, the ati's, ATIOglxx.dll file for the Open gl, is the one that always crashes maya on my 1950 pro xge card, and the reason i run hack drivers on this card from omega,

If you know a fix for this, please lemme know, i'd much rather be using the 1950 pro xge then the older 9800.

Thanks mate
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 8 18-01-2010 , 03:57 PM
Technical Director
Try the older catalyst drivers. They sometimes work.

It might also just be the specific card you have :/

# 9 18-01-2010 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
i've tried older catalyst drivers..
Hell even soft modded the bios on the card to use the Fire gl ogl driver, still didn't fix it..

It woudl launch a few games " X 3, HL2, LFD....but it wouldn't launch other games that were ogl dependent, such is Doom 3.

I think it was the card, i was just hoping you might know away around it.
Plan to buy a new rig soon, i might try to bump up to a quatro or a Fire gl card when i do, depends on how the funds are. I get ready to buy it, i'm a start a thread on here with the specs that i'm looking at and see what people think as i'm not really a hardware man myself.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!